Author Topic: Second turkey!!!!  (Read 13228 times)

Offline lowell

Second turkey!!!!
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »
Got to think this is my "dream season" for turkey....so please don't wake me. :D

First day of my second season in a different county.  Was thundering and lightening from about 2:00 to 4:00 this morning and quit but continued to rain hard.  Got set up in blind and heard nothing but rain.  About 6:10 saw my first turkey and a few minutes later 9 more came across the corn field.

They worked there way to me but stayed on the back side of blind. A few jakes came close but not to where i could shoot.  I think all 10 were jakes and hens.. saw no longbeards.  They kept walking to the north out of sight. 

Had a short nap, called my wife and started to look around again for birds.  Nap made for renewed enthusiasim!! ;)

Saw a hen step out of woods maybe 50 yards away.  Looked for something with a beard to be with her but saw none.  She worked her way to me and was walking in front of blind and I thought I would see what I could get away with her and was going to try and draw on her. Could see my tom decoy moving in wind a little and all of a sudden a longbeard steps out from behind my decoy at about 8 yards.

I shot and hit him right where I was looking.  I watched him run about 40 yards and he was dead.

Same short bow and arrow set up as first.  9 3/4" beard and 1 1/16" spurs. 

First picture is set up and where turkey died.  Second pic is hen I had been watching.  And third is 
 about when my camera started to get water logged.

Lowell,  in Illinois still dreamin!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Timo

Re: Second turkey!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 03:14:51 pm »
Dang son that is awwesome! And no you ain't sleepin......just gettin her done.

Congrats on a fine season.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:51:21 pm »
very cool brother, you are a turkey slaying bowyer... CONGRATS ON ANOTHER FINE HARVEST!!Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:57:43 pm »
hot Dang! great job sir, i know where ya get all your fletching material now! ya harvest it yourself. Well DONE!
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:11:40 pm »
congratulations on a fine turkey. i had a good year too, except mine werent with a bow  :D    looks like lots of fun......non of those jakes would have been safe around my bow >:D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:31:14 pm »
ou are the man, fine job of turkey hunting. Congrats on a fine harvest.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:00:34 am »
Congradulations on the harvest.  Looks like the nap did you some good.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 03:52:36 pm »
Awesome job,awesome year of turkey huntin'. Congratulations .  God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:49 pm »
Great story and great kill.All those wing feathers will keep you busy.Thank you for sharing !  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:44:34 am »
That is icing on the cake! One with a bow is an accomplishment, but two with selfbow/arrows is unbelievable! Great job!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline John K

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:09:07 pm »
Awesome ! Congrats on another fine bird !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 06:11:44 am »
Mighty fine job,well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Pahinh.Winh

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:53:15 pm »
Nice shots!  Back before digital cameras, so I have no pictures any more..  I was hunting deer with a Browning Monarch recurve (53# pull) during late turkey season in Wisconsin..  Suddenly, I heard a big flap - n - rustle ahead & up, in some tall pines. I looked toward the sound, & there in the only hole in the canopy, was a big tom, slowly flapping across the opening.  I aimed..  shot.. and nailed him!!   :o  :o  :D  He tumbled like a football with an arrow in him.  When I got to where he lit, the arrow had gone thru him & stuck in the earth.  Gave tobacco & thanked him & the spirits for such a gift.  4.5" beard, 1.25" spurs..  and 21# of bird.  Then I had to pack him out a mile & a half thru the woods, over the ridge, etc..  I think I grinned the whole way.  I skinned him & made an Indn mount, which hung in my office for quite awhile.  Gave him to a friend when I moved west..  I expect he's still on his wall, making people "ooh!" & "aah!".  Hope so..  Pahinh.Winh

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 01:15:56 am »
it dont get no better than that my friend. keep it up. ;D
lets just shoot it

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 12:21:14 pm »
Holey B Jesus nice shot awesome pic and story!!! This is exactly what I want to try is take a turkey with a bow that I made and not a compound...woops not supposed to say that word in here!!! ANywaythanx for sharing nice looking bow and arrows looks great as well!!!

CHEERS!