Author Topic: How long does it take??????  (Read 5679 times)

bearbowman

How long does it take??????
« on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:27 pm »
I have only been attempting to make bows for the last couple of months. I visit this site often looking at the posts to see if I can pick up a new tidbit of information that I can try or use.
That being said, I look at a lot of the help threads and I can see where limbs need to bend or whatever. Trouble is I don't know how to "fix" it when I am doing my own. I can see where I want it to bend but I can't always get it where I want it.
I have put a request in to my wife to have her and my Mom to go halves on the complete bowyer's bible set for my birthday. I am hoping that they will help me in my progress.
How long did it take you experienced guys to start turning out good bow's on a consistent basis?

Offline sulphur

Re: How long does it take??????
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:37:39 pm »
i have been doing it for about a year and a half.  that being said, i still have bows break.  about 1 in 5 are still awful and blow up for one reason or another. i still have made about 30 really nice shooters.  its not a matter of time though, its all about relaxing and doing something you enjoy.  although i will admit its a lot more fun when they come out like you want them to.  don't worry so much it takes time to train your eyes and hands to do and see what a bow needs and no one can say how long.  and remember if you aren't breakin' you aint buildin'.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »
I have been at it for 6 years or so, about 60 bows, and I think only about 4 of them had a tiller that I thought came out "right".  That being said, more than half of those 60 bows still shoot arrows, some even fairly well. 

The only person that doesn't break bows is the one that never picks one up.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:15:17 pm »
Been building bows for almost 10 years. some were great some no so great. Normaly I break a bow when i stop seeing what the wood will give me and only see my somewhat flawed vision of what that bow should look like. The wood tells you what it wants to be and you cant force it. If you can find some one to walk you through a bow one time it gets easier. I went to a Jay St. Charles class in the beginning and it helped alot. How long till you get it perfect? who knows never built the perfect bow yet.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:08:49 pm »
I broke my first bow and haven't broke one since, some have turned out horrible others look pretty good. Get the Bowyers Bibles and do what they say and that will help alot. Then if you need more help ask your questions on PA it's a great site I have learned so much since I found it.
SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:24:29 pm »
It took me about a year, and maybe 10-15 bows, before I felt  really comfortable by myself.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »
Depends on the individual. I originally just wanted somehting to move an arrow. They were ugly, slow, and didn't last. I've made over a hundred of those pieces of junk and things I finally starting to look right.

But Manny has only made about 40 or so bows, and all of them are good shooting works of art. He works carefully and pays attention to details- and it shows :)!

Obviously you'll progress at the rate you need to progress at.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:59:33 pm »
  I think Kegan hit the nail on the head. If a person just works straight perfect wood you can turn out a decent bow fast, but you'll be lost when you hit that one with a challenging knot or twist to figure out. Doesn't matter if it's the 3 or the 30th.
 I don't suggest cutting your teeth on very hard challenging wood. However I do believe some of the best bowyers have got to that point because they aren't afraid to try new wood and differing types of bows.  I have a high respect for someone who can make anything from a simple d from stone and also do a complicated R/D with static recurves.
  The brutal truth is that if we pay attention to every piece of wood that we work and how it responds,our successes and our failures,then we learn every time. Some of my best learning experiences have come from the failures.  Don't be discouraged easily and look at everything as a chance to advance.
  A friend has been over many times working on a bow and is determined to turn out an absolute masterpiece on his first bow. Though this is a great thing to strive for and in the end his attention to detail will show in the quality. He is almost terrified to touch it everytime because of being afraid of making a mistake. We are almost at the one year mark of working on it and it is just now at brace. In one sense you could argue better one great bow in a year then five OK bows. But the one who makes five mediocre bows might gain more knowledge in that time frame.

Offline Dano

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:08 pm »
I have been at it for close to 10 years now, I remember starting out, the guru's would say "it's not a race" or "it's the journey, not the destination" they were absolutely right. At the time I was impatient, and wanted a quality bow now, I'm still looking. This is a hobby that lasts a lifetime for most of us, the joy is in the craft, the accomplishments come in due time. Just enjoy it. Having all the books written on the subject is a must, consider it reference material.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:41:36 pm »
What everyone has said is what it is! ;)  I've been building wood bows for almost 20 years. The first ten years I was on my own with only books and lots of bows that weren't broke but believe me, they were badly bent!!! ::)  Until I met this crowd at PA my bows were merely bent sticks. Try to locate a nearby mentor or go to events that bow building seminars. The Tenn. Classic and Mojam Are two excellent examples that will give you the confidence for succeed.
   My suggestion is to concentrate on tiller. Don't worry about draw weight, don't worry about looks but get your bow to bend well. Once you accomplish that the rest will come naturally. Keep your mind clear and be thoughtful of each curl of wood you take off of your stave. Exercise the wood well between wood removals and most of all, be patient!!!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:21 am »
It started in Feb 2002 and it took me a year and a half to get consistent, and that was with a turn out of at least a bow a month through that period

Dave

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:59:50 am »
I have been on this journey for a year and a half.     
When I started my goal was to make a hunting bow, sam 55lbs it took about a month,  since then.  6 bows later. 
 flicker,stryder,  silkie, thumper, tango, creek, and wiggle pants. I thought I was confident.

Wiggle pants exploded on me recently.  60" long and 69 lbs @ 28".   yew wood.  I had just finished it.  backed with deer hair and hide glue for camo and two coats of oil on.  ready for labelling and a handle.  I was pulling in the yard looking at the reflection in the window.   kaboom,   it broke into 6 pieces,  both limbs coming off and both tip overlays blowing off.
in hindsight,  it needed to bend more near handle.  You learn alot more from the ones you break than the ones you make.  since then I have gone back to the other bows and adjusted tiller.

welcome

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:53:37 am »
I've been at this close to 20 years...actually I think it has been 20 years not counting my bent sapling childhood days. I'm still learning and having fun. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mspink

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 08:38:42 pm »
I've been at it for going on three years now and the only time I make a well tillered bow is if i take my time. But i have only learned from the ones i have broken. The moment I try to rush things it always ends with disappointment.
Aim small miss small!

Offline wakosama

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22:18 am »
I'm kinda newbie too.  Already broken 4 so far...this year... well, I over tillered two, broke a limb overstraining one on the tree, and the 4th just didn't work so I did the breaking.  BUT... I sure learned alot about splicing, and backing, and tillering, and tip overlays, and handle shapes, and scrapers, and rasps, and...... 

Now have three board blanks spliced up, one w/kraftfiber MDF backing, two linen backed, and two small ones for my daughters all profiled.  Maybe one of these will work out.

In the meantime, I've learned how to flemish string, two and three bundle, made a fletching burner from an old model train transformer, an arrow taper jig for my disk sander, retuned my bandsaw, and managed to seriously strain my shoulder with a friends overweight long bow. 

There's more to this than just the bow.  You gotta have something to shoot with it.  Got some elkhide for arm guard and a friend 'says' he'll get me some splits to weave a basket quiver...? 

Just keep on and sooner or later you'll get it right.
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!