Author Topic: Lesson Learn after building 20 plus D-Bows  (Read 1728 times)

Offline RT

Lesson Learn after building 20 plus D-Bows
« on: April 28, 2009, 02:08:27 am »
I built mostly Bamboo back and boo bellly bows and base on the recent last two boo bows i have very satisfactory success.

I guess it would be fair to say, all bowyer has it own ups and down building bows form natural materials and this is my observation so far.......

1) The more deflex and reflex you induce on glue up, the harder to tiller. (thus may lead to a "lighter bow" or crystalisation)
2) Go slow during the tillering process, believe me it will save you more time and effort (if break or crystalised, u will have to built another)
3)in inducing a reflex tip, 1 to 1.5 inches is plenty

Pls feel free to critics or comment.

Cheers, RT   ;D
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

DCM

Re: Lesson Learn after building 20 plus D-Bows
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:21 am »
That's pretty much me experience with all bows.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Lesson Learn after building 20 plus D-Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:22:56 am »
I built mostly Bamboo back and boo bellly bows and base on the recent last two boo bows i have very satisfactory success.

I guess it would be fair to say, all bowyer has it own ups and down building bows form natural materials and this is my observation so far.......

1) The more deflex and reflex you induce on glue up, the harder to tiller. (thus may lead to a "lighter bow" or crystalisation)

That is possible

2) Go slow during the tillering process, believe me it will save you more time and effort (if break or crystalised, u will have to built another)

Most certainly

3)in inducing a reflex tip, 1 to 1.5 inches is plenty

That may be the case with BBB bows but that is most certainly not the case with self bows or Bamboo backed bows

Pls feel free to critics or comment.

Cheers, RT   ;D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com