Author Topic: skin reaction to osage dust??  (Read 4822 times)

Offline billy

skin reaction to osage dust??
« on: April 27, 2009, 11:49:42 pm »
The last few times I've cut osage on my bandsaw, I've begun itching when the dust gets on my skin, particularly on sensitive areas like the inside of my elbows.  Anyone have any similar experiences with this? 

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: skin reaction to osage dust??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:51:44 pm »
Sounds like you are alergic to the oils in osage. You better send it all to me.........  for medical reasons of course.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:15 am »
Gosh I hope not. I would have been dead years ago.  :o   Billy, have you just recently noticed it?  Are you allergic to other things like tree pollen or grass pollen? If so, you may be over sensitive now but get over it when all the pollen is gone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:16:09 am »
I know the last couple of years i have been sneezing a lot more, I layed off the wood for a few weeks and the sneezing stopped, went back to the wood and the sneezing started right back, didn't bother me for many years but seems to now. Steve

Offline medievalhamster

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:29:25 am »
I've got a friend whose mom is allergic to mulberry (related to osage) and can't even be near it as saw dust or if its being burned for respiratory and skin related reasons. It is very possible that you are afflicted with something like that. Sorry, but if you need to send it to anybody to help relieve you...
Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

AKAPK

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:00:30 am »
I read that osage can cause Contact Dermatitis.Phillip

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:21:46 am »
It happens to a lot of woodwokers, especially with oily and exotic woods.  They work with woods for years with no problems but through prolonged exposure become sensitized.  Some have to stop working with the wood altogether, but many of them can handle things by limiting or eliminating as much exposure as possible.  wear clothing to eliminate contact, set up dust collection to take dust out of the air or wear a respirator, and wash exposed areas as soon as possible after contact.  This usually makes it manageable.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:53 am »
If you were making violin bows with pernambuco you would wear a respirator.   Breathing the dust can keep the hemoglobin in the blood from carrying oxygen.  Likewise, ebony dust can cause constriction of the throat and inability to breath freely. 

Continued exposure to any toxin, whether it is hardwood dust or epoxy, whatever, can cause a sensitivity that will re-occur even years later.   

Plan ahead. 

piper

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
Makes sense. You might have to wear long sleeves etc. when sanding/cutting. I know that when I work with cocobola on the lathe or sander, I wear a fine mask b/c it's toxic. Hope it doesn't bother you when you shoot osage.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:52:44 am »
When cutting Ipe slats on my table saw I have gotten a burning sensation on my skin...esp. when real hot a sweaty and the pores of my skin are wide open......now it's ALWAYS a respirator and long sleeves.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 01:32:17 pm »
No skin rashes but I get hay fever like symptoms from too much osage dust. I wear a dust mask and run my dust collector system if I am spending a lot of time rasping or sanding osage.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:27:00 pm »
I know the osage dust bothers me when I'm sanding, but yew and ipe give me the itch. I've started wearing a respirator mask for finish sanding with these woods, unless I'm outside.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:37:07 pm »
I dont get itchy but osage and especially ipe will tighten up my chest at the base of my neck and its not comfortable so I wear a good respirator. I think dust masks are almost useless.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »
it sounds like you need to come back where the yew is at...john

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 07:36:52 pm »
Yew bothers the heck outa me...Makes my tounge tingle and skin kinda jumpy. I leave it alone now.

Osage hasn't bothered me yet? Good respirator is a good Idea.