Author Topic: Went bowfishing...  (Read 12576 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Went bowfishing...
« on: April 25, 2009, 03:20:39 pm »
this morning for about an hour and had some luck.  there are some super large carp in the shallows this year.  grass beds everywhere and the next month of bowfishing will be a blast.  if anyone wants to go, come on down!

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Little John

Re: Went bowfishing...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 03:29:37 pm »
Wow, looks like you had a blast.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:31:11 pm »
                        Nice needle nose there Chris...aint seen a Gar in years....no Water here for them......... :-\
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:43:41 pm »
 Nice Carp Chris and give the little lady a hug for me. ;)  Are you saving those skins? and you ought to try that Gar meat. If not give it to Alex, it's a lot better than that goose he gave me..
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 03:52:28 pm »
Mechslasher,

I wish I lived closer, I would definately take you up on it! It looks like it would be a blast!

I fried some carp one time and it was a BEAR to eat becuase of all of the bones. I finally threw it out because I kept missing them and getting them stuck in the roof of my mouth. The meat tasted great though. I have heard that there is a way to clean/cut them where the bones are not a problem. Do you know how to do this?

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 04:07:26 pm »
great job man nice carp.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 04:09:19 pm »
  Tommy, I was talking about eating the Gar. When you clean them there are no bones. Just cut the backstrap out .
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:21:19 pm »
Nice fish, Chris. That place looks familiar. :) I'm gonna try to get down there in a couple weeks after the TN Classic and do some jugging and maybe bowfishing, never tried bowfishing, looks like it'd be a lot of fun.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 04:56:21 pm »
Nice shootin. Haven't been here yet, Gotta get that done.

I  pressure can all the rough fish I kill here in Mo. really simple to do, Bones are mush,and make some great tasting fish cakes

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 05:20:46 pm »
Tommy.....all of the Blacks down here catch the Crap out of Carp....and they swear by Pressure Cooking them....say the Meat falls off of the Bones....they cut the Fish into large pieces through the Back Bone....so when they are done Pressure Cooking....they shake the Bones....and the Meat just falls off of the whole Skeleton....I ain't never eaten Carp....but Gar is really good
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline boo

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 05:30:14 pm »
How far are you from Spartanburg?
Boo

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 05:55:11 pm »
I know this is a "north country" thing, but I used to pickle the parts of the pike that had all the bones, and sometimes crappie and perch, too.   I'll bet carp would pickle up really good.  Here in Louisiana i pickle extra trout of of the Gulf.   Good eats Charlie!!

1-1 gal jar
Iodized salt
Sugar
White Vinegar
onions
Pickleing Spice. { I remove the cloves]
White cooking wine
.1/2 pint or pint jars or any other size with a lid. Some use baby food jars.

Refrigerate fish during all times in brine and after packing in in final phase.

Cut northern or any fish into bite size pieces, no need to remove bones as they disolve during brineing. Fill 1-gal jar no more than 1/2 full. Mix 1/2 cup salt per quart of water cover fish and let stand 48-72 hours depending on thickness of fish.
Drain and rinse in cold water. Return fish to gal jar and cover with vinegar. Let stand 48-72 hours. depending on thickness.

Final brine. 4 cups white vinager, 3 cups sugar, Bring to boil then add 1 cup white cooking whine. Let cool.

Drain and rinse fish thourghly, discard vineagar. Pack fish in to jars with onions[as much as you want or don't] and 1/2 tsp of pickling spice. cover contents with brine refrigerate. Refringerate about 48 hours before eating to allow brine to flavor through

They will keep 6-8 months in refrigerator, but never last that long at our house.

piper

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 09:26:55 pm »
el d, those gar are just small males.  the females can get as big around as a volleyball and 4' long.  i saw one today that was black as the ace of spades.  wish i could have gotten a shot at it.   just have to be careful on pass through shots are gar.  i've had the scales cut 800# braided nylon. 

boo, i'm about 1.5 hours from spartanburg.  i'll be going alot when i get back from the classic.

hillbilly, mullet, i shot these over the old indian village we walkled around last fall.  there is 5' of water over it now. 
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 09:53:43 pm »
Those are the best eating size....I don't care too much for the Big One.....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 12:24:53 am »
Carp or as I like to call them "Large Scale Bass" up here are on the "Do not Eat List" or you
might grow a 3rd eye :o So its kill em and leave em. Seen some in Lake Michigan that were in the 50lb range :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI