Author Topic: Home made tru oil???  (Read 24239 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Home made tru oil???
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:51:25 pm »
ok so i checked the MSDS for tru oil and it says it contains mostly miniral spirits (56%), modified oil (33%), and linseed oil (11%). would anybody have any idea what the modified oil would be? i can get boiled linseed oil pretty cheap, and have a bunch left over from when i used to do oil paintings. i also have an abundance of mineral spirits left over from the same. but as for the modified oil, im lost. any thoughts?

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Home made tru oil???
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »
It's probably a secret formula, and being guarded with Colonel Sanders secret recipe. ;)
Traverse City, MI

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:17:31 pm »
yeah i kinda figured. that colonel is a cocky bugger! (Pun very much intended)  i was just hoping somebody with more smarts than me would know what the 3rd piece to the puzzle could possibly be. the only thing i have against using just boiled linseed oil is that it doesnt make the nice hard thick surface that you get with like tru oil and polly and such.

so maybe a little rephrasing...

does anybody know what else i could add to the mix to make it layer up, rather than just soak in?

Thanks!
Phil

orcbow

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:38:29 pm »
Try using a little polyurethane that is oil based. Boiled linseed oil is actually a modified oil itself. Modification of oils is commonly a chemical modification nowadays. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:48:49 pm »
 There is likely a small resin component as well. Some companies sell a varnish oil which is very similar to tru-oil. You could try a mixture of Bioled linseed oil, mineral spirits and some melted pine pitch. That will give you a bit more build.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:27:38 pm »
Could possibly be a dryer like Japan dryer that allows it to dry quicker.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:48:11 am »
I have been told that the other oil in it is tung oil but that wouldnt explain its hardening properties...Im bettin its shellac based..jmo...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:08:13 am »
ok good ideas. and thanks for the info on modified oils Orcbow. i was kinda wonderin if it might be some kind os shelac. im painfully ignorant when it comes to finishes. all ive ever used was spar urethane, tru-oil, and bees wax.

i think its time for some expirementing....

thanks again guys!
Phil

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:23:24 pm »
Well let us know what you come up with.. ;)

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 02:15:49 pm »
I wonder if shellac is the other oil, it crusts up and gets flaky when old
VB

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:34:57 pm »
Shellac isn't an oil, I believe its made from beetles and denatured alcohol ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »
Thats true Dana, but they're oily beetles, lol
VB

orcbow

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »
Surely it is not shellac, though shellac is a resin, and that's what you get (a resin) when you modify an oil. Boiled linseed oil used to be modified by heating it (hence the '"boiled").  But now it is treated with the "japan driers" which are toxic metal compounds like cadmium and a few other tasty ones. These chemicals speed up the natural drying process in which "cross-links" occur between certain molecules in the oil. This is what happens when an oil "dries". Certain oils such as tung oil will dry naturally, while others will not. Linseed oil is somewhere in the middle.

So really, try cutting polyurethane  with mineral spirits, 1 to 1 or more, making it thinner. Apply with a rag and wipe off the excess. This is a useful finish for many things. Watco oil is a similar type of finish (called a "danish oil"). Also wipe-on poly is basically poly that has been cut with mineral spirits. Mixing in a little boiled linseed oil would probably just slow down the drying time.    
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 10:46:42 pm by orcbow »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:04:49 pm »
I've read some stuff Jay Massey wrote about using a mixture of linseed oil and shellac as a bow finish. The way I see the Tru-oil deal, I can get a bottle already mixed up for five bucks at Wally World that will do several bows. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 10:11:20 pm »
My local Wally had discontinued Tru-Oil, most of their ammo, and ALL THE ARCHERY STUFF!!!

You can still buy all the American Idol seasons on DVD, though. 

piper