Author Topic: poc rookie....  (Read 2396 times)

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
poc rookie....
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:11:31 pm »
Ok i bought some poc shafts that are spined at 55-60 lbs. My bow is 54lbs at 30" however i only pull it to 29".  I assummed
these 55-60 lbs shafts would work fine am i correct?Ill be using a 150 grn point with them and the bare shaft weighs about 400 grains.
I have several questions about cedar since i have never used it.
1. Is it ok to cut the nock into the shaft as long as i wrap it with sinew?
Do i cut the nock across the grain?
2.Do you heat straighten these like cane shafts?
3. On 9 of the 12 shafts i have the grain seems to have places where it runs out mid way or 3/4 of the way down the shaft
is that ok. These are not gonna break when i shoot them are they?These are pre spined archery shafts from from 3 rivers.
Thanks Matt

OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline Little John

Re: poc rookie....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:24:00 pm »
Yep cut the nocks and wrap with sinue or substitute. The grain runouts are fine, look for the point on these grain runouts and cut nock to put these on top of the arrow.  You can make these arrows shoot more limber by leaving long or using heaver points or both or shoot stiffer by shortening or shooting lighter points. It is all in fine tuning. Have fun.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:37:23 pm »
not sure I'd trust a selfnock cut into a cedar arrow even if wrapped with sinew.
folks typically use plastic nocks with them.....

just my 2cents.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 08:51:49 pm »
Self nocks are fine with POC shafts with a sinew or thread wrap like Kenneth said. These arrows are POC but I used a rawhide spine to reinforce the nocks but I wouldn't hesitate to do self nocks with just a wrap..

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 01:48:57 pm »
Hey thanks guys . I made one up and used the Cherokee 2 fletch on it flies like a dream. Thanks
for all the help.
Matt
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:54:24 pm »
Matt,FYI-  the arrows above were wrapped with artificial sinew set in super glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:48:16 pm »
Nice looking arrows Pat.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell