Author Topic: snakey bow ?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline chessieboy

snakey bow ?
« on: April 18, 2009, 07:31:21 am »
I have a stave I'm working on now with some snake to the lower tip. The last 6-8" are pretty curvey. So should I measure it as the crow flies so to speak or mark the line down the grain and measure the length of the line?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: snakey bow ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:59:23 am »
When attached the string goes as the crow flies. No curvy roads for the string! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 10:05:40 am »
Pat I'm trying to figure out the length for the other limb. I don't have the boe in front of me but it may be 29" from tip to fade if you measured straight but maybe 30 or 31" if you measured the center line following the grain. Does that clear up my question?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:33:00 am »
For a string it doesn't matter the limb length. Take a measurement from tip to tip(as the crow flies), subtract about 4" and that should be close to your string length. If you use a string with one loop and a bowyers knot on the other end you can adjust it as needed.
  If you just want to know the bow's length, I measure from tip to tip(as the crow flies) but others measure from nock to nock. It is not critical measurement.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:58:54 am »
Sorry Pat, I'm not worried about the string. I'm trying to find out how long to make the other limb.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:30:45 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. ::) At my age, these things are to be expected! ;D  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!! ;)
    I build my bows symmetrical, with both limbs the same length. I start with a center mark on the stave, mark out 2" on either side of that for the handle and another 1 1/2" to 2" out from those for the fades.  Even though your stave has a snaky end, you still want to measure how the crow flies.  I hope this makes since to you.

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:12:07 pm »
thanks Pat thats what I needed.

nickf

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 06:39:42 pm »
chessieboy,

a bow is usually measured by the space between both nocks, the nock-to-nock length, or ntn length. don't bother to measure the 'stretched-out' length.

and I'm just guessing, but I'm afraid your making the rocket-science fault. My first bow had to be 2" wide, or 52mm. when I measured it, after cleaning up the edges etc, I found there was only 50mm left. I was shocked! but these exact measurements don't say anything about performance, looks, or durability. feel how it's done, don't try to measure it ;)

Nick