Author Topic: Flax (linen) question?  (Read 6544 times)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Flax (linen) question?
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:22:20 pm »
Does anybody know where I can buy some unprocessed flax for cordage.  Is it possible to grow your own in the northeast?
Traverse City, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Flax (linen) question?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:22:24 pm »
Google "flax strick" and click on the first link: www.....farm.com

I think this is where I bought mine....I'll have to check.  Anyway, the flax will be a bit smelly and difficult to separate into thin bundles (without messing up the strick).  I recommend talking to someone who actually weaves with the stuff.

Yes, I think it's possible to grow flax almost anywhere....others will chime in I'm sure.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:39:50 pm »
I'll give it a look. Thanks for the info.
Traverse City, MI

Huaco

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:58:40 am »
Just don't try growing "Hemp" in your back yard... PoPo might not like that too much.  I have been thinking about starting some flax in a section of my back yard.  Seems like it is a pretty hardy plant.  Bet it will grow in South Carolina.

jamie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:36:13 am »
rick look for fireworks supply online. i prefer the unwaxed natural string rather than the waxed and bleached. it is stronger and makes a smother string

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 05:36:06 pm »

If you have a harbor freight in your area, they have a sale on flax twine, waxed or unwaxed.  It is not too thick to make bow strings, by doubling, or tripling it.  I believe it is 37lb. strength.  The waxed stuff smells like they storedit  in a horse stall that hadn't been cleaned out recently. It comes in 900' rolls. $ 6.00 for reg, and $ 7.00 for the waxed.  If you don't have a Harbor Freight in your area, just go on line, at  (harborfreightusa.com ). 

Huaco

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 04:15:59 pm »
Does anybody know what species of flax works best for backing and string making?  I want to get some to plant this year and I am having a heck of a time finding the seeds!  anybody know where to get the seeds?

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 04:36:06 pm »
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Huaco

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:42:54 pm »
check out the following for flax fibers:

http://www.the-mannings.com/mannings_catalog.cgi?dct=on&tt=129

Got me some seeds from this place.  Well, at least they are ordered...  Just about to run out of time on the planting season.  Hope they get here soon. 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:40:02 am »

Check with your super market, or health food store.  You can buy it in either.  About one pound bags.  However, I haven't yet tried to plant it, and I am not sure if it is raw, or cooked.  I am going to plant some anyway, and try it.  You can ask the health food people, and they can tell you if it has been cooked or if it is raw.  Cheaper than the prices on the web site. ;)

Wayne

Huaco

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 03:54:20 pm »

Check with your super market, or health food store.  You can buy it in either.  About one pound bags.  However, I haven't yet tried to plant it, and I am not sure if it is raw, or cooked.  I am going to plant some anyway, and try it.  You can ask the health food people, and they can tell you if it has been cooked or if it is raw.  Cheaper than the prices on the web site. ;)

Wayne

PM Sent...