Author Topic: Recurve form  (Read 3045 times)

jstarcher

Recurve form
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:31:56 pm »
So I am about to start working on my first recurve and I need a form to bend the wood on.  So I guess my question is what would make a good pattern for the curve or does anyone have one they can post that I can copy?

Shadow Walker

Re: Recurve form
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:52:32 pm »
If you can give more information on the recurve you want to make i,e lenght and type of wood you'll be using. Is it going to be laminated or heat bent wood bow.
I may be able to post a scaled diagram for you. But I need more info.

jstarcher

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 05:24:19 pm »
66 inches total length, red oak, steam bent, grains perfectly straight, 26 inch draw at 50lbs target specs

jstarcher

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 05:25:32 pm »
O will be sinew backing it too

Shadow Walker

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »
O.K then, hang in there, I'm going to draw up the pattern for your form and try to post it for you. I'm not sure how extreme you want the recurve to be so I'll try to post a deep recurve and a shallow one.

Shadow Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16:06 pm »

Shadow Walker

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:18:06 pm »
sorry bout that last one. It was a failed attempt at posting the form. I'll figure out how to get it from my computer onto this posting. I have never done this before, so bear with me!

Shadow Walker

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 10:30:08 pm »
well, i've tried several times to post the pattern, but it keeps telling me the file is too large. I'm not sure how else I can do this. Perhaps I could e-mail to you as an attachment?

AKmud

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:11:44 pm »
Depending on the format, you might be able to save it to Photobucket or another photo hosting site and then post it with a link...?

Aosda

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:22:24 am »
If it's a simple pic or something like that, do what I do.  Open it in Paint then edit size (Image-Stretch/Skew) make it 25%. Either save or save as.  Hope that helps.

Tavis

Shadow Walker

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 02:32:51 am »
Tried twice more, I took out most of the detail, but it still is too large a file. I'll have to do some experimenting.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 11:15:44 am »
What kind of file is it? That's unusual for a drawing to be over 200 kb. Also, I think the maximum image dimensions are 640x480, so maybe it's the frame size instead of the file size.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

Shadow Walker

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 03:51:50 pm »
I did the drawing in corel draw and kept it as simple as I could. Perhaps your right Hillbilly, and it is the frame size that is creating the problem.
The link that Timo posted is probably more effective anyway. A picture is worth a thousand words!