Author Topic: Mountain Laurel ?  (Read 13149 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Mountain Laurel ?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 04:30:06 pm »
If it works for a bow, the name isn't important. But the species Kalmia latifolia (mountain laurel) is pretty much the same everywhere it grows, with the only differences being in size and slight variations in bloom color. For one thing, it's always a broad-leafed evergreen-there are big shiny green leaves on it all year long. It has big clusters of pink flowers in late spring. The bark is a lot darker with a different texture. It does grow in a couple counties in extreme southern Indiana that border Kentucky, but is absent through the rest of the state. Not trying to be a smart***, but I deal with native plants for a living, and see mountain laurel every day-it's one of the most common shrubs here in western NC. Here's mountain laurel:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 04:42:45 pm »
Hillbilly's picture looks like the mountain laurel we have in Pa. We have thickets of it that you just about can't walk through in the mountains here. We put on deer drives through it in muzzleloader season.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 05:00:24 pm »
Ryan, that's what all the deer bed in here, too. A lot of our thickets are too thick to crawl through, it's easier to walk on top of them. Until you fall through and get skint all over. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline greenstick

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 05:29:04 pm »
There is no leaves to look at , I was told that it was Mt Laurel, and it looked like the Tree ID pictures. If its not then I don't know what it is ?[/img]If you have any other ideas what it could be please , I'm open for suggestions.
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

John B.

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 07:31:08 pm »

You're in Indiana, Kalmia latifolia ain't.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 09:17:42 pm »
well i am cutitng some this weekend. haha this post is getting me all pumped up to try new stuff.  :)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 09:37:00 pm »
If the leaves fall off in the winter, it's definitely not mountain laurel. Mountain laurel is an evergreen.  I would guess that it might be a bush honeysuckle of some sort. Keep us posted with how it's coming along-I like the contrast of the sapwood and heartwood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 12:34:19 am »
PLUS, that is too straight to be Mt laurel!!!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline greenstick

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 10:18:01 am »
The only other wood that I can find close in description is American Bladdernut, but I don't have a good picture of the bark.
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.-Thomas Edison  ( Indiana )

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 10:56:16 am »
I would guess that it's not a native-looks more like an invasive exotic. Look up Lonicera maackii and kin. Keep an eye on it, when leaves and blooms come out on it, we can probably ID it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline greenstick

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 11:47:16 am »
Thanks Hillbilly, Good job. By the way , Nice job on the latest laminate bow.

Offline greenstick

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 10:39:04 am »
Hillbilly, looks like you are right about it being (Lonicera Maackii) Amur Honeysuckle. Now the next question,can it be made into a bow,and what type?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:52 pm »
I dunno, you're the perfect one to find out. :) Don't think I've seen anyone try a bow from it, so you can break new ground. A good start would probably be a long d-bow, or long, wide flatbow if it's beig enough diameter. I have made arrows from it a few times, and it worked great for that.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline greenstick

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2009, 10:46:15 am »
The debarked and worked with a draw knife reflexed piece of the amur honeysuckle. Lots of reflex at one end, probably will have to steam the other end.[/img]