Author Topic: Black/honey locust.....how to identify  (Read 7756 times)

bearbowman

Black/honey locust.....how to identify
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:47:17 pm »
My dad cut some locust last year and has it laying at his house. He offered it to me.

We don't know how to tell the difference between the two. I was always told not to use honey locust.

Is there a good way to tell between the two when it's alrady cut and laying?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Black/honey locust.....how to identify
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:00:23 pm »
Yep, if black locust still has the bark on while its layin on the ground it will rot very quickly..it will smell like roadkill...black locust color varies from different locals, round here its anywhere from osage gold color to almost green and its starts turning grey soon after cutting. Not sure bout honey locust, but if you run a 12" thorn in your hand its honey locust,lol.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

coyote pup

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:30:00 pm »
The easiest way is this--Did it, or does it, have great big thorns like the crown of Jesus sticking out of the trunk? If it did or still does, it's Honey.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »
Not all honey locust have the three thorns. The bark on the honey locust tends to be smooth with or without 1-2 inch thorns in threes whereas black locust bark will be thicker, ridged with orange fissures being visible. IMO, both woods can be used to produce a bow. I would be leary with wood that has been sitting out unsealed and vulnerable to bugs.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:18:13 pm »
If you can post a pic, we can tell you easy. Black locust is like osage, the heartwood will last forever without rotting unless it's sappy second-growth stuff. I've sawed up locust logs that had been laying in the woods for probably 15-20 years, and the wood would literally throw sparks off a chain saw chain it was so hard and solid.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

bearbowman

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:35:52 pm »
Hillbilly, it's funny you say that. My dad was just telling me last night that he was throwing sparks while he was cutting it.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »
BL is good stuff. It has no thorn on the trunks. HL does. BL has white flowers in spring. HL has pink. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Danny Roberts

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »
Honey locust will make you a good bow. I wouldn't cut it for firewood. Good luck with both !!
Kentucky