Author Topic: Self Nocks  (Read 4208 times)

Aosda

Self Nocks
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:48:30 pm »
I decided to try self nocks on this cane material I found.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a node where my nock would be.  So I wrapped it with rawhide.  Has anyone else used this method?  Is there a better way to get self nocks when there is not a node to reinforce the end of the shaft?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cromm

Re: Self Nocks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
You can cut a bit of cane/bamboo and plug the end of the nock??
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:31:08 pm »
Hardwood dowels work good too.  SInew will lay flatter than rawhide.

Aosda

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 08:51:52 pm »
I don't have any sinew, a friend gave me a deer butt hide that I turned into rawhide.  Would the insert have to be as long as the cane section, or just 1/2" or so?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:07:57 pm »
You can glue in a plug about an inch long, bamboo skewers fit in most cane shafts. I always wrap self nocks anyway, thread, sinew, anything works. I've cut several in just like yours with no problems.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:53:03 pm »
Many of my cane shafts do not have a node near the nock. I wrap all of them, seal them with glue and shoot them. None of them have split yet. I usually do not plug them, but it will add extra insurance if you do.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Aosda

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:59:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I figured that piece of rawhide going across would act llike a plug and not weigh the back end too much.  I have a couple others with a plug in 'em.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 11:41:31 pm »
I would shoot those as they are and see how they flew. If they worked I would do more like them. Use what you have, and don't be afraid to try something new. Originally people did not have a guide to go by. Trial and error was how they figured it out.Roll with it and let us know how they worked.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:15:14 am »
Those wraps should work fine. Lots of good info above and like Nugget said, our obsession is about experimentation, trial and error and imagination, along with a dash of sharing! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 12:45:32 am »
 Those wraps will work. I would just support them with some good glue. If you aren't worried about being primitive, I'd just soak some Super Glue into the rawhide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Aosda

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:42 am »
I rehydrated the rawhide in a dilluted titebond mix, and coated them before I wrapped.  Also it's all one piece of rawhide with the crosses being done first. Used a kind of figure eight weaving, then wrapped the rest over it.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 03:49:36 pm »
Well, what I have used, is the cut cane from cutting to length. Say if you cut off a 4" section, split it with a knife and split a piece again in two. then pair the 2 pieces together and super glue. Then shave with said knife or file to fit the nock end and glue in, trim flush after drying and file in nock. then saturate the throat with more super glue and wrap with thread, sinew, serving material, etc. or as I did on the first 2 trial arrows, White man's leather.. electrical tape! Good shooting, Steve