Author Topic: Anybody tried using cocobolo as a riser?  (Read 4836 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Anybody tried using cocobolo as a riser?
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:33 am »
Anyone tried using cocobolo for a riser and nock overlays? What did you use to glue it and did you have problems with it wanting to pop off? I'm making a couple flat bows with non-working handles - 10" riser block overall but obviously both ends will be faded back an inch and half or so to the true handle. I know cocobolo should be wiped down with acetone or laquer thinner before gluing and the surface should be lightly roughed up with sandpaper. My glue choices are Titebond III, Titebond Liquid Hide Glue, and a couple of different slow set epoxies.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Anybody tried using cocobolo as a riser?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:18:25 am »
Ive used a few board feet of Cocobolo in risers and limb tip overlay's with no problem's.. I have used tight bond III in the past and it worked..

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:52 am »
I've used it on a R/D bamboo backed osgae, and it worked very well. I used TB3 for the riser, and epoxy for the tip overlays.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:12:13 am »
I've used some quarter sawn Cocobolo for building up a handle and I was not impressed with it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:40 am »
I have used it for handles and it is very nice looking, kinda oily, if you use poly for a finish it may not dry all the way and remain sticky.

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:41:42 pm »
I have used it with success.  I used titebond 3 and then sealed it with a thin layer of gel super glue spread with my finger (wearing latex gloves of course).
south central VA

Offline Danny Roberts

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:17:56 pm »
Check out Herwaybow.com
Kentucky

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:03:14 pm »
I love the looks of cocobola, but hate how it gums up my tools.  Ive made serveral risers/handles and used it for over lays.  Ive glued it with Titebond 3 as well as smoothon, and aroe epoxy 400 wiith good results.  The key is to clean it real well with acetone.   Also, when you finish it, you will either need to clean it real good with acetone and use shalac or deft.  Or you can clean it good and seal it with super glue then use what ever finish you want.  Ive used shalac, as well as deft to seal it, then went back over that with another finish.

Good luck
Burnie