Author Topic: Ipe help  (Read 3246 times)

Offline chessieboy

Ipe help
« on: April 16, 2009, 06:00:47 pm »
I need some help for a BBI.  This will be my first. The place I can get the Ipe from has to order it. So does it matter how its cut and what depth and width should I go with? I plan to try a ELB type design. Do you guys think I'll run into any problems since I can't see it before ordering it? I'm going to talk to them about what I can do if it gets there and is poor quality (ie bad run offs, big knots etc.). Do most of the lumbar yards you guys deal with have it in stock? Any thoughts would be good.

Thanks
Bill

Offline sailordad

Re: Ipe help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:29:55 pm »
if your going to back it with boo,persoanly i wouldnt worry about run off etc then.
not that your going to be able to see the grain that well anyhow.
every piece of ipe i used i have never really been able to see the grain that well.
i have made 3 or 4 boo/ipe combos,never worried about the grain.just glued them .
up and tillered away
good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:09:28 pm »
I don't have much experience in this area, but will say, I think IPE should be backed with hickory or bamboo or something.

I got flooring planks from a flooring store.  And had to plane off the glue slats I think they are called.  Ended up being less than 5/8".  Really you want at least 2" thick.  That way, you can put on a tablesaw and get a good 3/4" thick piece so it will not bend in the handle much.
Westminster, MD

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:42:38 pm »
Hi,

Mine is laid out and ready to glue up...the ipe is 5/8's thick at the riser and will add a 13 1/2 riser block.  I am using a hickory backing.  I figured I should wipe it with acetone before glue up...any thoughts on whether ipe is greasy and needs to be wiped with acetone?  I have a purple heart hickory backed bow to try after that...any thoughts on whether purple heart needs to be wiped with acetone before glueup?

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:57:39 pm »
anything i glue up,wood boo metal,always gets wiped down with acetone
way i figure   better safe than sorry ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:59 pm »
Sailordad,

Thank you very much for the advise...will do!

Rand:-)
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:00:23 am »
You might want to price the Ipe from Rich Saffold (richards bowyery). http://richardsbowyery.bravehost.com/
If you have to have it shipped in you don't know what you are going to get.  Buying it from a reputable bowyer like Rich, you know you will get bow quality material.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah