Author Topic: Guava longbow  (Read 13518 times)

Offline Gordon

Guava longbow
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:46:06 pm »
Some time ago I traded Manny some vine maple for a guava stave. I finally got around to doing something with it and here is what I ended up with. The bow is 66” long ntn and 55# @ 27” (sorry Manny I just can’t handle those 70+ lbs beasts that you crank out). The limbs are 1 ¼” wide at the fades tapering to 3/8” at the tips. The tip overlays are some sort of tropical hardwood that I cut from a scrap of flooring. The handle is made from dyed elk hide and I dyed the guava tan to help bring out the wood’s beautiful grain. The stave had some worm damage that threatened to compromise the back so I wrapped the affected area with serving and sealed it with superglue. The finish is Tru-Oil. I heat-treated the belly after the initial brace and tried to flip the tips up, but it didn’t really take.  Not that it made any difference because I don’t think the bow took any set at all.

I must say I really am impressed with guava as a bow wood. I would rate it right up there with osage except it does not respond to heat bending quite as nicely. The wood is very dense and scraps nicely. It does, however, tend to clog the teeth of a Nicolson 49 quickly. I found the best way to hog off wood is with a farrier’s rasp. One more thing, be careful not to get a splinter with this wood, they are murder!

Overall, as a bow wood I would rate guava just behind osage but in front of vine maple.  Manny, thank you for the opportunity – your wood rocks!

Gordon

Rich Saffold

Re: Guava longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:55:38 pm »
Gordon, It's a great looking bow as usual, and you got to keep some of the beautiful heartwood as well on the belly.  The Tru-Oil is a good choice  from what I see as well.
I too have a similar Guava bow which is a favorite as well, and I think this wood really shines in very dry, and hot weather as well.

Rich-

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:22 pm »
Verry beautiful bow,Was it tough to tiller with that dip below the handle?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:02:40 pm »
wow,that is great work gordon...so,was that wood a differant adventure for you...i see you are still going at it with the paper thin nocks...congrats on bow.john

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:06:21 pm »
Thank you Rich. I was so pleased that some of the heartwood remained after tillering. I just love the look of it.

Pennhawk, thank you for the compliment. Yes, the reflex on one end of the handle did present some challenge. But I think I handled it okay.

Thank you John. I am enjoying working with all these different woods. They each have their own special character and challenges and guava is certainly no exception. I'd say guava is very much like a fine lady - not exactly prim and proper, a little on the wild side, kinda high maintanence, and an absolute pleasure to look at and handle  ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:16:31 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »
Dang Gordon, That is a thing of beauty, absolutely outstanding workmanship. Love all your bows but that one really sticks me in the craw.:)

Funny how we seem to post our bows about the same time? :)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:27:08 pm »
 WOW   :o :o :o  Gordon you are the master my friend. There just doesn't seem to be any type bow or wood that you don't turn into a masterpiece. I knew that you had some beauty in the works and I should have known it was that guava stave. Love the stain coloring,the tips the profile and everything sure make that a nice package. How do you like shooting the Manny style grip? I'm hoping maybe this will be the year that I get to work my guava that I got from Manny. It such nice wood and so strong I haven't wanted to work it until I am back to shooting weight.
Congratulations on another incredible bow. Ps. Like the shirt. Keenan

Now we are going to have to make a new rule for the rendezvous,,,,,,,no guava bows allowed

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:38:07 pm »
Tim, thank you for the nice words. I guess that great minds just think alike!

Keenan my friend, thank you so much for your compliments. Whenever I see your beautiful bows they just makes me want to improve my skills. You have a way with wood that I admire greatly. Regading the Rendezvous - we agreed that you would limit your entries to wood from the east side and I to wood from the west side. But I we never said how far west  ;D
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:13 am »
Another beauty, Gordon. I have made one guava bow and still have a very snaky, worm hole ridden guava that still scares the pi$$ out of me. One day I will get the courage to tackle it. I enjoyed working with guava and apparently so did you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:29:16 am »
Great job on that Gordon. i especially like the heartwood in the belly. like i said before, doesnt seem to me like youve ever posted a bow that hasnt made my jaw drop. excellent work my friend!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

AKAPK

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 12:36:14 am »
Gordon that it Premo, top notch,excelent, great 8). Phillip

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 12:58:33 am »
Beautiful wood, beautiful bow.  Nice job Gordon!

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 01:51:17 am »
Thank you Pat. The worm holes are somewhat disconcerting. For the most part, however,  I don't think they are a problem unless they are running close and parallel to the back. Just go for it!

Thank you Phil, I much appreciate the compliment.

Thank you for the nice words Philip.

Thank you Keith.
Gordon

Offline RT

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 03:17:13 am »
Beautiful bow Gordon, Cheers! RT
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:36:36 am »
Beautiful bow Gordon,nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good