Author Topic: First osage self bow, need help tillering.  (Read 4583 times)

Offline osage outlaw

First osage self bow, need help tillering.
« on: April 12, 2009, 05:14:54 am »
I am working on my first bow attempt, an osage selfbow.  It is from a tree that I cut down on our farm.  It is 66" nock to nock.  I am aiming for 55lbs.  I started tillering it a couple of days ago.  Any suggestions?

Here it is with a shorter string.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: First osage self bow, need help tillering.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:25:09 am »
I'm the worst to judge tiller from pictures,..but from here that tiller is all over the place, I would be carefull to draw it so much at this stage.

The guys that actually can pinpoint tillers will chime in shortly, you'll get some good advice soon.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline african man

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:47:46 am »
Hi Scrub Buster
The first step in a major journey ....  ;D
Are the two photos the same , or have you taken some wood off between the shots ?
Photo 1  looks like a hinge starting at block 4 on left , outer half of right limb needs to bend more
Photo 2  left limb looking better , maybe a touch more bend at fade out and watch for too much bend in block 5 , right limb watch for hinge between block 2-3 and block 3-5 needs more bend
thin the tips down a bit , they look a bit chunky

Just take it slowly

This is a tool I find helps a lot with tillering , you slide it along the belly when the bow is pulled and it marks the spots that you need to remove wood , and the spots that are not marked  are left alone
Its a piece of wood with a hole drilled in the middle that fits a pencil and a larger hole counter sunk to hold a nut , that the pencil will screw into , so that the hight can be adjusted

Chris  ;)
we all die but we all don't live

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:28:13 am »
Thanks,
     I have been using the tillering tool like the one you have.  I did remove a little more wood between photos.  I should have a couple of hours today to work on it and listen to the Masters.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:42:47 am »
Looks perty swell so far.The blue checkers hurts my eyes though.:) I would just work on getting more bend at the fades first.Not sure what kind of tiller you are looking for?

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:13:13 am »
You need to get it bending more right past the fades. Looks like the first third of the limbs are to stiff. Take some off there and take a look at it again. Dean

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:58:39 am »
It is so nice to see you on a rope and pulley, scrub-buster. Yes, the bend should begin at the fades. It is bending there but not enough. The tiller you have is known as a whip tiller. Too much bending in the outer third of the limbs. That means the bow will stack quite a bit on you towards the end of your draw. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:43:52 pm »
It is so nice to see you on a rope and pulley, scrub-buster. Yes, the bend should begin at the fades. It is bending there but not enough. The tiller you have is known as a whip tiller. Too much bending in the outer third of the limbs. That means the bow will stack quite a bit on you towards the end of your draw. Jawge

Thanks, Jawge.  I really like the rope and pulley.  I was using it today and thought it was like a homemade Bowflex machine.  I worked on it a little more today.  I thinned out the tips and worked on the limbs.  I won't get any more time with it until Wed. or Thur.  I think it is looking a little better, but I will concentrate on the areas just after the fades and at the end of the right limb.  Thanks for the advice.  Here is a picture of the latest.

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »
Scrub,I'd concentrate on the areas from the handle out, about 1 1/2 blocks.No further for now.

What does the unbraced profile show?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »
Here is the unbraced bow before I thinned the limbs down.  That is the natural shape of it.  I had to heat treat some twist out of it.