Author Topic: use of dark woods, eg BL and Osage, in edge grain orientation  (Read 2311 times)

Offline snedeker

It has been suggested that edge grain (quarter sawed), as in boards OR starves these aren't great for self bows. Osage is risky for breaks, and in general the wood's dynamics aren't great even if it holds together.  I have verified this with a couple silk backed specimens.  I'm not sure about BL, but note I've never seen an edge grained BL selfbow and plan to stay clear of the concept. 

What about with hard backing though?  I did a boo backed edgegrained BL board a couple years ago, and it might be a touch more sluggish than plane swan.

What's the concensus?

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: use of dark woods, eg BL and Osage, in edge grain orientation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:33:43 pm »
Dave, I prefer edge grain or biased grain for backed bows. Hickory makes an excellent backing for osage. Something less strong like maple or elm should be good for locust although hickory would work too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:36:33 pm »
I'm not referring to the concept of edge grained backing Pat, I am talking about the core/slat/belly or what have you.  The part that gets backed

Dave

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:54:38 pm »
I prefer to use a edge grain core when backing with boo or hickory and such..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:43:30 pm »
Dave I meant the belly slat being edge or bias grained. That's how I like backing strips too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:52:06 pm »
When I'm making a backed osage bow, I prefer quarter sawn boards. Also, quarter sawn backing strips, in either maple or hickory, are my choice.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:14:46 pm »
Dave, I've done quite a few hickory backed osage and locust with all sorts of grain configurations and I really don't see much difference. That said, I prefer quarter sawn or plain sawn with osage because of the pin knots. You don't want to get a pin knot running across the limb on the belly side or you'll have trouble....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....