Author Topic: Quartzite??? Otherwise known as ManRock  (Read 10928 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Quartzite??? Otherwise known as ManRock
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 03:38:09 pm »
Some kinds of it are helped out a little by heat, but others aren't. You'll never get it to knap like chert no matter what you do to it. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 04:45:49 pm »
Here's some stuff I had laying around from back in my marble making days.  I call it quartzite. I don't really know if that's what it is ???
  All I know for sure is that it's extremely tough stuff.   It comes from over around Jamestown, TN and Dale Hollow lake.  It's what all the old time marble makers around here call "flint".  I know it's not actually flint, but if you could get a decent point from it.  Not only would it be pretty, it would rival ryolite for toughness.
  I have several fist to grapefruit sized pieces laying around.  I'll gather it up and bring it with me.  I might even be able to get a few more pieces too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

brian melton

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 01:54:38 am »
Hillbilly,

You ever work rose quartz???

Dana,
            What would it take to get you to send me some of that stuff (large piece, in length)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 06:45:10 am »
Hillbilly,

You ever work rose quartz???

Dana,
            What would it take to get you to send me some of that stuff (large piece, in length)

Brian remind me after the classic and I will see what I can find for ya, and all it would take is reimbursement for shipping :)
I need to find a source for this stuff, picking through the city park for it isn't the best option and most of it is small pieces.

Shannon that looks like some good rock :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 10:00:32 am »
Shannon, not sure what that is, but it looks more like Florida chert or coral than quartzite. Might be good stuff. Brian, never tried rose quartz, but it would probably knap pretty good. I've came pretty close to buying a chunk of it in a rock shop a couple times just to find out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
  Brian, Rose quartze knaps real nice. Shannon, that rock does look like Coral ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:29 am »
It might look like it Eddie, but I'm sure it's not.  The creeks around Jamestown are loaded with it. It varies from  clear/white, blueish/white, blueish/grey, light yellow amd sometimes a nice amber color.
 You can literally pull up to any creek and load a truck bed with it there's so much of it.   I think it's just a super good grade of quartzite, but I'm not sure ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 12:06:35 am »
Ya'll have got me to thinking about this whole coral thing.  It seems that almost every point I see made from coral has always reminded me of this "Jamestown" flint.  Could it be possible that it is in fact coral?  If so...why would it be in and around that area.  I could see somewhere like Florida, but the hills of east TN? ??? ??? ???

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 07:19:17 am »
If its Coral yer gonna be a rich man Shannon :) Of course ya had to tell everyone where it is :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 09:02:19 am »
 I doubt it's coral, probally just a high graed quartz or chert.

Hillbilly, are you going to bring any of that yellow quartz that's behind your house in the creek?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 10:46:40 am »
Eddie, I'll bring some.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 04:53:29 pm »
If its Coral yer gonna be a rich man Shannon :) Of course ya had to tell everyone where it is :o

Heck if I'm taking a trip across country to dig it up but that is some nice looking rock! Bring some and lets work it at the Classic. Maybe throw some into the heat treating demo and see how it works!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline TRACY

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 10:08:25 am »
Sawflier, I found some chunks similar in IN in the river and took some to a fellow teacher that is a rock hound/knapper. He tells me that it is horn coral from waaaay back when the midwest was covered by the sea. There were fossils on the outside etc and that is how he determined what it was. Not sure if that helps, but he's a reliable source.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline cracker

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 06:41:58 pm »
Dana
  I'd say a bumper draggin 3/4 ton truck load ought to be just about right. If you bring me some I'll bring you some coastal plains chert.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 07:10:20 pm »
 I've never seen fossils in coral. I have seen it in chert, though.
Lakeland, Florida