Author Topic: authentic obsidian points (pics)  (Read 5114 times)

Offline billy

authentic obsidian points (pics)
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:57:36 pm »
Below are 2 pics of some obsidian points I found in Oregon when I used to live there years ago.  Most were found in central Oregon, within 30 miles of the town of Bend.  Thought ya'll might to check out some authentic points and see how small some of them really were. 

One thing I've noticed is that although there were numerous different colors of obsidian available, the natives used black or smokey-clear obsidian for 99% of their points, and almost NEVER used the mahogany or multicolored obsidian. The one with the black arrow pointing at it is the only point I've ever found that has streaks of brown in it.  Although it's difficult to see in the photos due to patina, you can see faint brown streaks in the stem if you look closely. I'm not really sure why that is, but I know that the mahogany and pumpkin obsidian (all brown with no black) are noticeably more brittle and more prone to breakage than the black obsidian.  Maybe that's why they almost never used it.  Anyway, enjoy.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Timo

Re: authentic obsidian points (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:51 pm »
The one in the top left corner proves my thinking on what design makes the best(strongest) hunting point.It is the only one that is almost in tact. Cool stuff.thanks for posting them.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:28 am »
Nice points.  I wish I had all the points I found while I was growing up on the farm.  Now the farmers around here don't plow like they used too.  They just scratch and go.  I can't find anything anymore.

GlassKnapper

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:02:52 am »
Which one do you think is the oldest?

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:06:19 am »
hey those are great finds...i think  ??? maybe it was a spiritual reason why they are mostly black..i have seen the same thing in books...if i remember right..i read a story about Ted orcutt and when he and his uncle would get obsidian the red was for war or maybe some bad medicine...thats if i remember the story right...just my thoughts.john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:29:06 pm »
 Nice pics Billy,Thanks for sharing.  The one with brown streaks is probably leopard skin.  I'm not sure that the other types with color are more likely to break but are definitely harder to shape with good Constancy. As the shock wave travels through the rock it will hit those bands of color and distorts, causing waves in the fracture.
  Those points look vary common for most that are around this area. I have seen many that are almost identical to those. I occasionally see some with color however,I have seen a few that are totally white, and a fair amount that are a pale gray and buttery smooth. Most are black but I have come across silver sheen, gold sheen,snowflake and some mahogany.
  Given that black is most abundantand also the most consistant to work is the probable reason for the frequency. I would suspect that the colored one around here are for special purposes.
  The sizes and styles that you have are spanning a huge range of time as you know. The smaller more fine notched are more present age and a few that you have are certainly more in the 8-10,000 yr. range.
  Many recent finds in this area are pushing the dates of habitation but to some of the oldest in the North America.

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:09:15 pm »
HEy Glass Knapper,

Not really sure which one could be the oldest...it's hard to tell from the ones that are missing the base....that makes them non-diagnostic (fancy archaeological terminology for "can't tell what it is").  Most are quite small and so I would suspect would be arrow points.

Keenan,

Those points came from your neck of the woods so they should look familiar to ya. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:14 pm »
 Yep billy there is much more then I would have imagined in this area. Just found out a few months back that the Lava Island cave find was about a mile and half from my house.  Right down at the end of our road and across the river. All these years I've looked over there and thought to myself that looks like a good place for a cave to be ::)

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 09:36:16 pm »
it's amazing how many people lived in what seems such a desolate area there in central oregon.  But they were masters of the environment and were able to eek out a living in some of the most challenging environments there is.  Glad I don't have to do that...my fat butt would starve to death 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 04:17:10 pm »
Billy, I have to agree with Keenan. Its all about how the material knapps. I found the same thing when knapping obsidian with different layers in it. I found that pressure flaking multi-layered/colored material tends to hing with regularity as opposed to solid black, clear or smockey material. In the future I will be looking for solid colored material to knapp as I think it makes the best points. Not as colorfull but easier to pattern on.

Keenan, I have got to get down to your neck of the woods this summer sometime. Do you think you and Dave might be up to going after some of the black dacite? How was the knapp Inn at the Buttes? Sorry I could not make it!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 01:38:41 am »
Hey Dave,

Let me know when you are going.  I'd tag along when it gets a bit warmer.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...