Author Topic: Quartzite??? Otherwise known as ManRock  (Read 10930 times)

Offline DanaM

Quartzite??? Otherwise known as ManRock
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:20:58 am »
Found this on a walk with the dogs last night, its deinately some type of quartz/quartzite grainy and tough
as all hell, I managed to knock some flakes off with a big rock. So the question is, Is it knappable and do you want me
bring some to the Classic?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Quartzite??? Otherwise known as ManRock
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:49:09 am »
Yep, that's quartzite, and looks like a pretty good grade of it. I like the color, too. You'd be amazed at what James can do with a chunk of that. If you have some big pieces, bring'em on down and we'll destroy it. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:51:32 am »
Thanks Steve, I sent James a PM so hopefully he see's it. Don't think I can find much that is bigger than the largest piece in the picture
but will try. I helped myself to this stuff from some drainage ditches they lined with pit run at our new park ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:54:31 am »
It's hard to work pieces shaped like that if they're not good-sized enough to knock good spalls from. How big are they?
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:10:54 pm »
The smaller ones are fist sized or so, I will go clean the ditches out and see about some bigger stuff :)
Its a city park so I will just wear my city coat and no will will have a clue, they will just think I'm a dedicated hard working, overpaid city worker :P

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:03:27 pm »
Wow, Dana - that looks like some rough stuff. I betcha I could destroy some of it but don't think I'd get anything made..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:24:46 pm »
Dana,

I've made some points out of some tough, grainy quartzite.  The stuff you've got is grainy, but it looks pretty homogenous and I'll bet with the right tools you could make something out of it. Wooden billets are magic on stuff like that...
Marietta, Georgia

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:50:02 pm »
I just got done abusing myself on a piece of this stuff and it will work, I just don't have the knowledge or the tools
but I do have a big bruise on my leg :) I will try and find some large rocks of it and bring it to Pappy's. Does anyone
have some dogwood billets they can spare or trade. Its the only rock in the area so I might as well try and learn eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:29:02 pm »
Just wondering how many of you manly Knappers want to try this lovely rock. I will go tommow and see if I can round up some big pieces of this sweet working rock :)

Best stuff ya ever saw guys, you will most likely be spoiled for life once ya work some Yooperite, hey I just named some rock, kinda catchy ey Yooperite 8)

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:18:14 pm »
Dana, I actually love working that nasty stuff. It's the only knappable stuff we have in my neck of the woods, too. Some of the old ones could make nice stuff from it. I'll bring some Smoky Mountainite, you bring some yooperite, and we'll mix and match. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »
ill bring some yankeeite!!. ive gotten a fewe decent points from that stuff. mainly by luck. ive got boulders of that stuff that could crush my truck. i also have some very clear white. and occasionaly find crystal quartz. thats the good stuff.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 06:52:45 am »
Its not going to be a very safe place in the knapping tent with all the dogwood billets swinging :o ;D
I'm working today so I will go over with the city vechile and seen what I can find ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 11:21:36 am »
Went down and found some Yooperite, but its not real big. I need to take a hammer and sample some of the bigger stuff.
Will bring what I can with me to Pappy's

Manistique, MI

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:50 am »
i know i have asked this before.so please forgive me..can the quartzite be cooked...thanks john

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »
If I remember right I think Hillbilly said that its unaffected by heat other than a color change

Manistique, MI