Author Topic: Cedar shafts  (Read 3824 times)

AKmud

Cedar shafts
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:03:02 am »
Well....I ordered a dozen cedar shafts and all the trimmings from 3 rivers and am going to give putting them together a try.  Is there anything I should know (dos/don'ts?) before I get started?  I don't have a jig for tapering the nock or point, but I have a good sander and figured I would just make a tray style jig but I need to know the proper degrees needed.

Thanks!

Offline TRACY

Re: Cedar shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:05:19 am »
I'm not 100%, but I want to say 5 degree taper with most production glue on points.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:59:13 am »
look at any of the online stores for taper tools. Off hand I forget what the taper but they're usaually listes as XXX degree taper tool and you need a different taper for nocks and points.

Offline scattershot

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:46:18 am »
I believe it's 5 degrees for the point, and 11 degrees for the nock. If you can locate an already tapered shaft, you can use it for a guide.

When you get ready to start making arrows, nock should go on so that the grain is perpendicular to the bow. From the side, it will look like this ==========

The riff ( those v's you see on the shaft) should be pointed toward the point end of the arrow on top of the shaft. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Take your time, and don't try to get too fancy first time out.

Good luck!
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 02:37:35 pm »
Yeah, it's 5 and 11 degrees.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

AKmud

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm anxious for them to arrive! 

AKmud

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 04:12:50 am »
Got my box in the mail today!  Now....where to start!  Any suggestions/advice or links to wood arrow build alongs for the "beginner"?  I don't really want to mess these up by just jumping in without any real direction. 

Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:49:24 am »
The first place to start is to make the straightest end of each shaft the nock end because you will be removing at least a portion of the other end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:32:24 pm »

AKmud

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 02:17:28 am »