Author Topic: Some new arrows  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Kegan

Some new arrows
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:36:29 pm »
Here are some new arrows I made up. All are from 3/8" borch dowels, tapreed in the back with sandpaper to accept the nocks and what not. Average weight is about 650 gr.

The ones on the far left with orange paint are my new small game arrows. These are overpsined and tipped with Manny's Tarantulas. After seeing his I had to try it, and though not as nice, I can see why he likes them.

The Tarantula arrows and the ones beside them are all overspined but fletched with tall feathers. They fly straight and true. Though a little noisey they make excellent practice arrows. I'm very pleased with them. Their versatility and lack of spining trouble make them some of my new favorites. The feathers are mostly secondary and tertiary wings from what's left of what Pat B sent me (thanks Pat!!!) and from the wings of a young turkey killed by a fox or something and left in the woods. Though the featehrs are very tall and full, these arrows still have an effective range of about 50 yards or so. I fitted them with glue on blunts to try them with broadheads later, see the resulting effects (and try to get an idea of how the Thompsons and Saxton Pope shot). On a side not, the white shaft natural featehr arrow farthest to the right was the first one I tried. The feathers slid aorund while tying them on so there is no semblence of order on the offest (one feather actually goes the wrong way). Despite all this it's still an extremely accurate arrow, and did a good bit towards openning my eyes.

The red fletched arrows are my hunting arrows. These are properly matched and spined to the bow and fly slightly better (are more forgiving of mistakes). The broadheads, first time I grouped them, were about 7" apart at 30 yards- I'm very confident in them come season. The blunts fly the same way so I won't have to abuse the Stos too much. I just recently got these Stos points and like them, though I still want to make some tie on trades for deer season.

It's been a long time since I've had such a full and well rounded quiver of differnt arrows that all like to hit their mark. Thanks for looking :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Some new arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:43:31 pm »
Nice arrows Kegan. All look effective!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:12:37 pm »
great job!!! those look great.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:19:08 pm »
Kegan congrats on a nice set of arrows, really like the barred turkey fletches. If you can get some good trade points made up you will like them a lot.   kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:37:25 pm »
Nice group of sticks there Kegan! I see that Manny has influenced you a bit?:)

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
nicely done kegan good luck with them stickers. using any for the ole wiley pennsylvania turkey?
Modern Day Tramp

bebloomster

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:47:10 pm »
Very, very nice Kegan... guess that I am going to have to get busy and build myself some new ones now.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:23:59 am »
Thanks everyone! I've been having alot of fun with these. After seeing Hawkbow's turkey arrows I got the urge to make up some new flyers of my own :)

Little John- I started a new set. I still have those gose wing feathers you sent me and I'm going to try to put them on some good trade point hunting arrows. Just need to find the best way to attach them (my biggest hiccup with trades) and I should be ready to go.

Timo- Yeah, I really like Manny's style and have been trying to incorprate it here and there into my own tackle.

Huntertrapper- I'll give them a go, but our neighbors make it hard- they bait them the rest of the year so they go on the other side of the road/hill. Then the people on the other side just come down on quads and shoot them while we are in school.

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 10:54:38 am »
Kegan, don't be afraid of trades. The hardest part is cutting the slotfor the trade point. I glue with epoxy and wrap with sinue. They are about all I wse for points. I use field points only if I shoot other peoples 3D targets. I have a big hack saw blade that cuts the slot perfect, just try to keep the slot true (not as hard as it sounds). I think I have another blade If you would like it. Have you used any of the feathers? I am practicing primitive fletching with some of them now.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

bebloomster

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:51:54 am »
A bandsaw works real well for accurately cutting that slot too.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 06:37:00 pm »
Slots are never as much a problem for me as attaching the points securely. I always seem to have issues with them coming loose after a while and then falling out or becoming misaligned. It might be how I glue them or it could be the designs I've tried- do you have any photos I could reference?

I haven't used any yet, except for one fishing arrow I made for my brother. I've been saving them for a good set of hunting arrows, as I'd like one set where the feathers wouldn't matt down at the first sign of precipitation :D.

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:53:01 pm »
Kegan, I have never had problems with trade points loosening. Just glue in good with epoxy and wrap good with sinue. Will try and get some better pics up.   Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]