Author Topic: Substitute for brains for making buckskins?  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Substitute for brains for making buckskins?
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:35:01 pm »
Is there a suitable substitute for brains for making buckskins? Can I just use vegetable oil or something? I'm afraid my deers brains are long since gone but I still want to tan some hides. ::)   ;D I have one hide all scraped and ready for the next stage...... :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Substitute for brains for making buckskins?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:38:24 pm »
Ryan, I thing egg yokes work also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:38 pm »
Meat broth, bone marrow, ivory soap right off the top of my head.  You could also find a butcher that sells cow brains and give them a try, but you may have to buy a full case because not all butchers carry them, but they will order them.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:04:31 pm »
You just use the yoke?  Any more info on the ivory soap? that sounds less messy......
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 02:43:40 pm »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:00:28 pm »
I've used (whole) eggs, it works ok. I like brains better, though. You can get frozen pig brains in a lot of grocery stores.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:23:57 pm »
hey ryan theres a lot of stuff like they said. ive had no problem with eggs . a dozen eggs in a gallon of warm water (more for a large hide) dip the hide in squeeze the eggs into the hide and ring it over the bucket . do this a few times or more and you'll get the eggs to penetratie into the hide better. and like i said on another post if you get stiiff spots sand them open and rewet

the soap works the same. grind a bar of soap into a gallon of warm water. my only dislike is it makes one slippery hide , tough to handle. smells a hell of a lot better than the others do though. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:53:38 pm »
eggs work but I dont like the long term look. after a few months the hides I have done in egg turn a different color and tend to dry out. maybe it was just how I did it. I used the whole egg.

like steve said. call up a local meat market or some of the oriental markets. by calling around I found pig brains in 1 lb tub for like 2$.

sometimes I mix the brains with neats foot oil also. you can get that at a tack shop. I have heard some say that neatsfoot is all they use.
luck
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 03:02:54 pm »
I greatly prefer brains rather than eggs.  I tried tanning a deer skin with eggs once, and it never softened up.  Don't know why, but it was as though the eggs created a layer in the skin that was impenetrable.  I then tried braining it and  the brains never got into the skin because the eggs created a boundary.  I never got the skin soft.  I used the entire egg, maybe I should have just used the yolks. 

I've heard of others using eggs with good results, but it just didn't work well for me.  I only use brains now.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:18:38 am »
This subject would be a perfect how to /tutorial  !
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline smokeu

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:44:09 pm »
At primitiveways.com the guy there has a good how to on a fox hide. he got some pork brains at the chinese market or mexican market not sure. Worth looking at though.
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:36:39 pm »
I use egg yolks.

Hog brains seem to be extra greasy.....barf....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline aaron

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:40:06 am »
fabric softener works- add a little or alot to what
 you got
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"