Author Topic: Am I ready to attempt a R/D?  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Am I ready to attempt a R/D?
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:30:18 pm »
Having turned out a number of reasonably shooting selfbows over the past couple of years, and a couple of nice shooting bamboo backed longbows I am considering trying my hand at a R/D.
My thoughts so far are along the lines of 62" to 64" ntn, 45# to 50# @ 28".
I have yew, hickory and ipe available as belly slats but am hesitant to try the yew as my 1st attempt due to a limited supply of suitable wood .

What advice would you experienced guys give to a R/D virgin such as myself?

Red Dwarf

Offline Kegan

Re: Am I ready to attempt a R/D?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:09:43 pm »
I've recently started playing with R/D too. ALl I can say is look for lots of full draw and braced pictures to have something to reference. Other than that, have at it :)!

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:03:43 pm »
Start with a slight R/D and just take your time and like Kegan said look at the pics for a visual.. You are asking so you most be ready!!!! ;)

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:57 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
What determines where along the limb you place the changeover point from deflex to reflex?

Red Dwarf
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:37:25 pm by Red Dwarf »

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:28 pm »
I found my first and to date only RD bow a real challenge. I enjoyed making it but being used to an even bend playing with the shape of RD really did my brain in. I had some very strange braced shapes at times!
If using Ipe as the belly wood I advise keeping the bow slim and not glueing in very much of either reflex or deflex. My bow was just about an inch wide and I really struggled to get it down to 70#. The Ipe ended up being sothin the grain gave way a bit. I backed it with silk due to bamboo splinters rising and bound it to stop the Ipe going. It still shoots, it was fun making it and a real education.
Take your time and enjoy the struggle.
Mark in England

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
What determines where the along the limb you place the changeover point from deflex to reflex?

Red Dwarf

I put the transition at the midlimb. Seems to work best.