Author Topic: pig sinew???  (Read 5749 times)

Shadow Walker

pig sinew???
« on: April 09, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »
I have searched this forum for info on using pig sinew as a backing, but I came up empty.
I can't seem to find any supplier for deer sinew in Canada, and I don't believe I can order it from the States ( border problems.)
I am making a 48'' maple Mohawk bow and I am in dire need of sinew. The tiller is good at this point, and I am able to draw it to 20''.
This is my first bow and it has gone perfectly to this point (surely the Creator had a hand in that!!)
I need to sinew back the bow and finish tillering to get a longer draw lenght. I have access to pig and cow sinew. I have read that cow sinew isn't really good to use, so if anyone has any info they can share on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
P.S.....I don't really want to use bamboo, as I want this to be as authentic as possible.
Thanks...............Shadow Walker

Offline shikari

Re: pig sinew???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:49:30 pm »
cow sinew would definately be better than pig,espically if you can get backstrap sinew,thats what the korean bowyers use for their hornbows.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:58:44 pm »
I would go talk to your local taxidermist.. they usally know where sinews can be found. good luck brother.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 07:17:15 pm »
I wouldn't bother with Pig but I have used Cow sinew and it is very good.  You do need to degrease it though, this is best done after you have shredded it.  Pretty hard to get the backstrap sinew but if you can get some lower legs from adult Cows then you should be good to go
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 07:51:37 pm »
I've always found sinew from wild critters to be the best... if, for no other reason, that they provide more mojo.

Shadow Walker

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:07 pm »
Thanks for the input gentlemen, I believe I will try the cow sinew!

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 09:40:46 pm »
If you want it to be an authentic Mohawk bow then no sinew would be better. ;)

Offline smokeu

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:52 pm »
I am about to start searching for some myself here local in Texas I would start at any place that processes meat or maybe a taxidermy I have heard they can be a good  supplier...If no luck there try to order from three rivers archery.
Longview, TEXAS

Shadow Walker

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:28 am »
I did seriously contemplate not backing with the sinew, but the short lenght scares me a bit :o. I really don't want it to break ( being my first bow ) I guess I'm not as adventuress as my ancestors!
It may not be totally authentic, but it is all primitive construction. The handle is not totally authentic either. The bow started out much longer, but in my haste to get it bending, I broke it, so, I had to join it at the handle and add a piece to make the handle thicker. Then I wrapped the handle with rawhide and hide glue ( which I learned how to make with information on this forum....AWESOME GLUE!!!)
Maybe the next one will be totally authentic, but for now, I'm sure the ancestors are smiling!...or laughing at me!
Either way, if it survives and shoots well, I will have earned another bear claw for my necklace.
And, Smokeu, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some of those texas longhorns. One leg from one of those bruits should do the trick!!