Author Topic: How much feather?!?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Kegan

How much feather?!?
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:10:14 pm »
Does height have more effect than the surface area? I've made some flu flus that were about 3/4" high and striaght cut (square) that were more than 30# overspined that flew like darts. Pope used unspined arrows though, and grouped pretty well at long range. His were 7/8" tall but taperd to a 1/4" high front. Would the extra height make up for the lesser surface area on the unspined arrows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How much feather?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:57 pm »
extra height adds to the surface area. Ideally you want to use a little feathers as you can get by with and still have good arrow flight. When using broadheads, I prefer higher feathers to help "stear" my arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:27:12 pm »
Does it matter where the surface area is though? I've heard that the taller the feather the better, not the longer, which got me thinking (that and how Pope and Young could shoot so accurately without spining their arrows).

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:41:12 pm »
Not sure but I believe Art young shot a really heavy bow, really heavy arrows and heavy points... sort of the lob method... heavy = penetration and less arrow wobble.... Plus I think they shot a lot more arrows than most modern archers do in a year.... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston