Author Topic: No pictures ,just parts  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Dave 55

No pictures ,just parts
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:32:10 pm »
I made a narrowed limb osage flatbow,about 1 1,8 inches and got it too light about 45#so I shortened it to 58 ntn tiller seemed good,backed it with rawhide because of very thin rings.I left it sit in front of a forced air vent for a week or so since I was busy.A couple of days ago I got it out and finished it with spar ureathan and left it sit for acouple of days more.It shoot real well,for a few shots then blew up.Seems like the hide came loose and lifted a ring then broke clear thru to the belly.Several lessons to be learned here Im thinking.
Now is the good old days

Offline billy

Re: No pictures ,just parts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:39:07 pm »
If there was hot, dry air comin outta that air vent, that could be the problem.  Usually the air coming out of air vents is pretty dry, and it could have dried the bow out too much.  I've made some osage bows with pretty thin rings and never had any problems....they're still strong and shoot great. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:27 am »
Like Billy said you probably over dried it. Next time give it a week or two to rehydrate before stressing it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:30:45 am »
Thats what I kind of was thinking,the hide let go tho and peeled right down the limb,I used TB2, but as you said the wood seemed awfully dry,also I wondered if I hadnt wiped it down with acetone enough before applying the hide?
Now is the good old days