Author Topic: Questions about ipe  (Read 2352 times)

slathrop

Questions about ipe
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:53:22 am »
I've been trying to make bows out of ipe after already making a bunch of red oak board bows and have only had one turn out successful with four others snap on me.  So I wanted to know the following in the hopes that it will help me find success next time:

1. Do ipe bows really need a backing?  Or are they strong enough without one?

2. Do silk or linen make good backings for ipe?  I have been using maple as it is the only decent wood I can get in Hawaii.  Or are there other woods I should consider?  Any suggestions would be most welcome!

3. I have been making my bows at 60 inches from tip to tip as I have short arms and the ipe boards I buy are 120 inches long.  I figure making them at 60 inches keeps me from wasting wood and I have found it to be a comfortable size for me.  my tapers started out at 1/2 inch at the handle (which is 6 inches long) to 1/4 inch at the tips.  This turned out to be way too thick and stiff so I started making them 3/8 to 5/16.  I would appreciate any suggestions for the correct limb thicknesses for a bow of this size

4. What is the best adhesive to use for backing ipe?  I have been using titebond III and each time a bow snaps, I see the backing comes right off.  My father in law who is a carpenter recommended using a marine epoxy instead since he thinks the oil in the ipe may be having a negative effect on the titebond III.

I appreciate any input that can help me to find success.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Questions about ipe
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:22:50 pm »
First, I wouldn't back ipe with maple. Bamboo or hickory would be my choices. With the one that busted in the other thread, it looked like the maple backing had some grain run-out on it, too. I've seen unbacked ipe bows, if you had a piece with near-perfect grain, it should work. But if it's breaking even with a backing...........What is your drawlength? 60" is pretty short unless you have a pretty short draw. Ipe will handle short lengths if it's well-tillered, but if you're just starting out and all, I'd make them in the 66"-68" range untile you get a few under your belt-much safer. Shorter might keep you from wasting a little bit of wood, but it's all pretty much wasted if it breaks, along with the time you invested. The limb thickness will depend on the width, the individual piece of wood, etc. Make them the thickness that will let them bend some at the floor-tiller stage. Ipe only needs to be an inch or an inch and a quarter wide or so. TB3 has been used succesfully by a lot of people for backing ipe bows, I would go with the TB3 before the marine epoxy. The best glue would be Urac. With any glue, you need to degrease the ipe with acetone or denatured alchohol right before glue-up. Also, I'd throw that tillering stick in the ocean and build a pulley system, and be sure to not pull the bow too far until the tiller is even, and never pull it past your intended draw weight.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.