Author Topic: Sinew Backed Osage Deflex Recurve-not for BOM yet (lots of pics)  (Read 6486 times)

Offline samuraiwarrior

I just finished tillering and sanding this bow. I've had it laying around for probably 3 years now, never getting around to finishing it. Boy am I glad I got it working, it is so beautiful and silky smooth in the draw.
I haven't put any kind of finish on it, what you see is the bow sanded to 1500grit paper and the sinew burnished and sanded.  I was thinking of covering it in black silk fabric and painting some designs on it (like Alessi's hornbow here: http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439 . I'm not sure yet what I'll do, I don't want to rush into a finish I don't like so it will take a while. 
It is just under 60" tip to tip
Draws about 55# at about 29" from the belly of the handle
1-7/16" wide at the widest
2 recurved billets glued into deflex, then reflexed while
heat treating and then sinew backed
Holds about 3" of reflex when resting unstrung,
and just under 2" immediately after unstringing.
Leather string pads are to help the [minor] string tracking problem the bow has.

That's me in the last 2 pictures to give you a scale of the bow and the bending. It is very fun to draw,
haven't shot it yet, I will wait until I figure out what exactly I'm doing with the finish and any kind of
handle covering.

Hope you enjoy!

There are more pictures of the bow from floor tiller, brace, and nearly finished stages here on my photobucket: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Samuraiwarrior2/Osage%20Recurve/

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew Backed Osage Deflex Recurve-not for BOM yet (lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:19:46 pm »
Very nice recurve! The tiller looks perfect! Looking forward to the finished bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:42:32 pm »
Very Nice Bow!!! Looks Great!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 07:20:59 pm »
Wow! That looks great. Very nice tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
Looks really nice Son....Excellent Job on the Tiller.....Did you ever think of just putting String Grooves down the Belly to keep the String Tracking correctly?? I have done this on many Bows with Serious Recurved Tips.... alsogreat to see the Youth tackling Sinew Bows....quite a feat!! I really like it
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:53:37 pm »
Interesting bow, tiller looks outstanding but I have to ask why you undercut the hanle so much,
the way you did it I have to wonder if the handle won't pop off due to bending ??? Anyway cool bow and
I would start shooting before finishing it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:14:27 pm »
I think He undercut it to get the Deflex bent into it....you are correct though ....this will make the Handle a weak point for flexing and possibly popping off the laminated Grip section
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »
Looks good! I too would be shooting the fire outa that thing.:) Looking foward to finish pics.Would also like to see a 90 degree photo of the full draw tiller.

Offline samuraiwarrior

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:58:16 pm »
Thank you Pat, Jawge and JustAim.  :)

Looks really nice Son....Excellent Job on the Tiller.....Did you ever think of just putting String Grooves down the Belly to keep the String Tracking correctly?? I have done this on many Bows with Serious Recurved Tips.... alsogreat to see the Youth tackling Sinew Bows....quite a feat!! I really like it
El Destructo, I did try that, and you can still see the remnants of the grooves down the knee of the recurve on the bow.  I found it didn't help as much as I thought it would. I added the leather pads with deep grooves in them and it has worked out fine. Might add a little extra mass to the tips, but I don't mind given the performance this bow has.
I think I started making bows when I was 14 or 15, and quickly got pulled into sinew backed bows and attempting to make hornbows. I have made about 4 horn bows but they all failed. I'm hoping this summer I can complete 1 more and have it work before I go off to college.

Dana, I didn't really mean to undercut the handle, after I glued the 2 billets into deflex, i wanted to make a good glue-line for the rest of the handle, and that is what came of it. I glued it on with hide glue, and am not really worried about it popping off, it is thick enough that it doesn't bend at all. In fact, the bend starts outside of the fades, so there's really no danger, especially with the sinew on the back and everything.

Timo, I'll try to grab another photo of the tiller soon if I have the opportunity.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 09:22:51 pm »
                         I can see tha Grooves now....I thought that they were just Shadows of the String..... :-[
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:04:58 pm »
That bow looks like a real spit-fire. Nice job!
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 02:10:37 am »

Really nice!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:22:09 am »
Very nice work young man.Can't wait to see it all finished up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Barrage

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:32:31 am »
Nice bow.  You need to shoot that thing!
Travis

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 11:18:18 am »
... You need to shoot that thing!

Yes shoot it before finishing! see if it is steady!
Frank from Germany...