Author Topic: Anybody made a Flemish twist tillering string?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Anybody made a Flemish twist tillering string?
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »
I have a Fastflight tillering string I bought from a supplier and I've used it making a few bows but I can't stand it. The way it was made I have a heck of a time getting a bowyer's knot tied in it and subsequently undoing that knot. The way the thing was made it was waxed with one loop served and the other end simply folded flat or something. If I wanted to make Dacron B50 string using a Flemish twist how many strands should I make it and how long do you think it should be for use on bows that will be as long as 70" NTN?

Offline artcher1

Re: Anybody made a Flemish twist tillering string?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:15:43 pm »
First, you want a tillering string that's as short as possible. So if you're making up different length bows then you might want to make up several different length tillering strings. Personally, I like the double loop tillering strings. Mostly I use old 12-14 strand double loop bow strings for tillering strings. I do have a 16 strand double loop tillering string made up for longer bows. I'm probably not pulling more than 35-40# with my tillering strings (up to or just past what would be my normal brace height on the tillering board) before I go to my permanent string. Hope that helps.

ART B

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »
I use a piece of parachute cord with a slip knot in each end for a tiller string. I can adjust the length by moving one knot.  I make all my bow strings with one loop and timber hitch(bowyers knot) at the other end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:54:17 am »
i do the same as Pat B. mine is plain 150# nylon rope, it stretches a little but works fine for long string.i only use it to get my brace height up and go to full brace from there on. hope this helps.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:39:43 am »
I've made 20 or so flemish style tillering strings the last couple of weeks for the Tn. Classic. Large loop on one end, and timberhitch for adjusting to different lengths on the other. Works great!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:56:39 am »
I use the same, large loop and timber hitch on the other.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 02:03:57 pm »
I use old double loopers. I have them of varying sizes from failed bows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 02:07:41 pm »
I use clothesline rope for tillering strings.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:19:14 pm »
I use my bow stringer with the leather cups for my long string. Then do as GregB does.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:29:32 pm »
LIke Pat and Dustin I just use parachute cord, with a loop tied at one end and a bowyer's knot at the other.