Author Topic: Silk or Fiberglass?  (Read 6889 times)

Aosda

Silk or Fiberglass?
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:49:04 am »
Opinions please.   ;D  Working on bow #2, 68" Cherry Board grain runs vertical belly to back(hopefully it'll make it).  I ordered a strip of black silk and a strip of fiberglass.  Which one would ya'll recommend for it?

Here's a picture of the grain.  Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Silk or Fiberglass?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:59 am »
On Primitive Archer, silk is always preferred over that other stuff. ;D If you are talking about bow fiberglass, it will overpower the belly if your tillering isn't perfect. It is strong like bamboo!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:57:08 am »
Pat,

It's a thin strip of fiberglass like the silk.  That's why I was asking.  And I searched for silk glue up, question is, will TBIII over color the black if I put a layer on top of the silk?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:57:41 am »
Use the Silk for sure....you would be dooming a nice Piece of Cherry Wood if you put the Cursed Stuff on it.....Blasphemous!!!

As for coating the Black Silk with Titebond....it will not change the Color at all....just make it shine a Bit....hope that helps........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Aosda

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:00:43 am »
Yes it does, thank Pat & El D.  8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:01:13 am »
TB glues dry a tan color. You can use white glue (Elmer's) and it dries clearer so the color will come through better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:24:22 am »
they now sell a titebind mold and trim that dries clear.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 01:31:17 am »
Silk burlap or linen. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 02:01:45 am »
AOSDA.....this Pyramid Bow was backed with Silk...and then I put three coats of Titebond 2 over the Silk to seal it....and you judge for yourself at the Color....Looks Black to me!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 07:18:06 am »
Oh Oh you said the F word wheres the bar soap :o ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline african man

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43:31 am »
as Jawge said  "silk, burlap or linen"  I've seen a bow with a FG back only take HUGH set   :o  not to mention the belly collapsing.

Chris  ;) 
we all die but we all don't live

Shooter_G22

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:22:39 am »
i used f/g sheeting from automotive bondo sheeting "Once"   i put it as a layer inbetween pecan belly and a thin pecan backing...   it worked...   but that was in the begining... and now even though im tempted i dont becuase i feel like its a sin or something...   >:D   and i feel like im cheating... sooo i have been blowing up attempts with out any backing...   sooo i believe some kind of backing sure does help...   but i would go with something like wood or bamboo...  plus the grain of the wood or natural look of bamboo is killer  8)..

plus i read a lot of post on here that say an all wood bow feels better and feels alive and with good spirit and good medicine...  and sooo that is what im going for now on my bow attempts all though i do have another board blank all ready glued up with the cheet sheet in between backin and belly...   been there in the coner for months glued it up back when i did the other one sever months back when i first strarted reading and posting on PA...   now i really dont want to mess with it that is why its still in the coner over there... lol... :D :D :D

but i should go ahead and try to finish that one up i have it promissed to a cousin anyway... sooo i will probably work on soon...

sooo anyhow...
i would suggest to attempt with out f/g...   just cuse if your like me...  you will probably feel alot better doing it with out...   

and the bow is supposed to have better spirit and feeling with out the f/g too ::)

JMO..  :D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:52:56 am »
TB3 does dry light brown. I don't know how much it will fade your black silk. TB1 and TB2 both dry translucent and you shouldn't see a color change. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 10:05:08 am »
Putting the glass between the backing and belly doesn't have the same effect as using it as a backing. The backing takes the tension stresses in that case and the belly wood the compression. The glass is in limbo and is only a stabilizing ingredient.
   If someone wants to use FG in a bow, that is their prerogative. We don't allow it on PA but it is not a sin elsewhere. Our point is that it is not needed. There are plenty of other options that will work as well.
  An "insurance" backing is just that. It will not keep a bow from breaking if the wood was not selected properly or the bow was not tillered properly. With the right piece of wood and good tillering practices a board bow can and usually will be successful. Trying to cover mistakes in either or both with any backing will not make a successful bow. It is false security.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 11:06:30 am »
I'm glad there FG policy here.A properly chosen board (straight grained, no knots) needs no backing nor does a "proper" log stave. I do feel that beginners should back log or board staves for peace of mind and safety only because, if they where like I was, the idea of a properly chosen stave was completely foreign to me.  I like building bows with natural materials. But I'm not perfect either. I still use Dacron strings. I do feel that FG is too good as a backing and thus may slow down the development of a selfbowyer. But I don't know. Never used it. :)
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!