Author Topic: ? about cuting wood  (Read 2253 times)

Offline hunter12

? about cuting wood
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:41:48 pm »
im leaveing too tx in acouple of weeks . wondering after u cut tha trees do u half too split and debarf at that time or could i wait a couple of weeks before i get them home too do that plan on cuting hicory  and what ever else i come across . any info would b great. thank you jack ??? ??? ???

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: ? about cuting wood
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:51:15 pm »
I like to split them when I cut them, but you don't have to immediately. Makes them a lot easier to handle, though. Just seal the ends with some shellac or cheap glue .
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:44:34 am »
I like to split mine on site at least into quarters. Make sure you seal the ends with shellac. Debark as sson as is convient. Its easier shortly afer harvest. I actually have a philisophy that says if I am not commited to processing the stave within 2wks of the harvest I won't even cut it. What that usually means is I get er done in a timely manner and get it in the woodshed and forget about it for a while with a clear conscience knowing that when its curred and I am ready to make a bow, its in optimum shape. But, thats just me. To each his own of course , but I do think that if you adapt a similar philosophy  you won't regret it. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:52:39 am »
You don't have to split the log right after you cut it. Just seal the ends and spray it with insecticide and put the logs in a dry place and they will be fine. I split one a while back that was cut 7 years ago and it split just fine. The sapwood was tough to get off though. Dean

Offline hunter12

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »
You don't have to split the log right after you cut it. Just seal the ends and spray it with insecticide and put the logs in a dry place and they will be fine. I split one a while back that was cut 7 years ago and it split just fine. The sapwood was tough to get off though. Dean
thanks you guys. i like to make things easy so ill probably go ahead split and dbark.seal thaends and backs  thanks for tha info

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:22:41 am »
If you remove the bark, seal the back! I know some say it isn't necessary but for me, it is a small price to pay for insurance. You world hate it if it did check. >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC