Author Topic: kids hickory  (Read 4162 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
kids hickory
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:17:25 am »
threw this bow together in the last 3 days starting from a board. ended up with 1.5 inches of set. 49" ttt and 15@20" hickory with cocobolo tips. have another board with the same dimensions for another kids bow. any input/criticism is welcome

thanks
Dustin D

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: kids hickory
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:14:23 am »
Looks good to me,some kid should love that.Nice job. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:54:37 am »
Agree with Pappy, gonna make some kid smile :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:17:59 am »
Good job...I like it, and I'm sure a kid would love it!
south central VA

Offline JustAim

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:53:36 am »
Looks Good...l'm sure the child will be pleased with it.

Aosda

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:08:31 pm »
Looks real nice.  Keep the double string, you can shoot lefty and righty at the same time :D

Shooter_G22

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:30:06 am »
cool looking bow...! 8)

motivation...  think im going to attempt one also one day... :D

going to put at the beack of the project list :D

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:58:37 pm »
NIce! I love kids bows. It's agreat way to learn bowmaking and good way to try different woods. It's a win, win situation!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 04:06:09 pm »
 Very nice. Thpse short little kid bows can be the hardest to tiller sometimes. Looks like you nailed it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 07:40:46 pm »
I like that handle, looks comfy.  Hope some kid understands how lucky she/he is to get that bow!

I've made as many of those kids bows outa hickory boards as any other style bow, I learned a lot about how important it is to take time in the tillering process.  These little projects are just as much work as a big project, but a $7 board is easier to absorb than a $80 osage stave if you screw up. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:36:36 am »
Pappy, DanaM, Brownhillboy, Justaim, Keenan, thank you for all the compliments, they mean a lot. i still have to make 2 more kids bows so all the nephews my son and my stepdaughter can all have one they call their own.

Aosda, LOL @ righty/lefty. gotta get my prosthetic arm out to hold it. i think the pic your looking at the shadow looks like a second string  ;)

Shooter_G22, i think that kids bows are the most fun to make. and the kids eyes light up when you tell them its theirs.

Bullitt, i definitely agree.

JW_Halverson, most of the hickory i get here is $6 per board foot, i think the last board i got was $13 and i got 3 bows out of it. cant beat that price for learning tillering.

here are the other 2 kids bows. i dont think i ever posted them here.

please forgive the sheetrock tape backings, they were some of my first and i didnt know i could keep it unbacked (or use cheap silk) just by smoothing the edges on the back.

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:49:45 am »
Very nice, the only thing I would do differently would be to radius the handle more to make it more comfortable to shoot. The handle is nonbending section, and I usually have mine more of an obround shape.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...