Author Topic: First Wood Bow.....Suprisingly a success!!  (Read 6043 times)

Aosda

First Wood Bow.....Suprisingly a success!!
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:02:44 pm »
I just finished my first attempt at a board bow.  And thanks to all the posts here and other forums, it turned out a success.  I rushed into my materials and bought Poplar and Red Oak from Home Depot  :-[ .  I know not good.  But from doing some homework, I was able to get pieces with straight grain.  Getting what wood I did forced to take my time though.  I think if I started with a piece of wood that I was almost 100% sure would turn out, that I would've rushed and failed horribly.  So thanks to all you bowyers, who time after time, answer questions from people like me.  Sharing your knowledge and wisdom makes it possible for newbies like myself.  Now, on to the bow.  It's a Poplar backed Red Oak board bow, with Maple and Red Oak riser/handle.  72" TtT, 70"NtN and pulls 50# @ 28".  The bow has a minor hinge in the lower limb(wood deflect I think).  The first pic is right after glue up with about 2" deflex (I think...tips go forward).  The second is at a low brace, and the last ones are the finish after putting about 45 arrows through it.

Any ideas for #2 ?  I'm thinking Cherry would look nice, maybe with Hickory or Maple(is this good) backing.

Tavis

[attachment deleted by admin]

John B.

Re: First Wood Bow.....Suprisingly a success!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:14:33 pm »
You know darn well someone will ask for a full draw picture.  C'mon, ante up!   :D

Aosda

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:18:52 pm »
When my uncle gives me back my camera I will.   Had to take those with my laptop.  He's had it the whole time I was building  >:( . I wanted more pictures.

Aosda

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 08:24:53 pm »
Full Draw

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:27:08 pm »
Looks not too bad for a first bow, but I am curious as to why you think a wood defect gave you the slight hinge? I am interested how that bow shoots when done, that wood combo might be pretty fast if it doesn't break. Steve

Aosda

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:35:14 pm »
I'm thinking wood defect, because the hinge is right where the grain runs off.  And yes, due to inexperianced tillering.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:39:10 pm »
I make bows with that kind of run off all the time. Backed bows like that don't really mind run off. 

Good job for your first bow.  ;) Not bad for a lefty.  ;D Just kidding..... Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Aosda

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 08:54:56 pm »
Actually I'm a Righty.  The laptop mirrored the pictures.  Bow is being held in my left hand.

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:04:54 pm »
Nothing wrong with that it looks better than my first bow.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:29 am »
Congratulations on your bow! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Shooter_G22

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 12:07:38 am »
Nice,

congradts on your bow... and welcom to the addiction.. >:D   

might as well buy a whole ruff sawn board and have it milled to get you more board staves at a cheaper rate...   cuz i gauranty your gonna be making more than one more.. ;)

Aosda

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:12:43 am »
Already thinking of #2.  I'm thinking about maybe a Cherry with Maple backing?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:46 am »
Already thinking of #2.  I'm thinking about maybe a Cherry with Maple backing?

I recommend Black Walnut with Maple backing! - I just recently made two of that combo, a really fancy holmegaard and an even fancier pyramid; both shoot GREAT regarding their low draw weight, because BW is really sringy and light weight. BUT get perrrrfect pieces of BW, no twigs or waves in grain, vertical grain orientation I prefer, then you'll be fine. Black Walnut is most beautiful, too.

Doesn't show very well in your pictures, but I guess your upper limb needs more bend!
Frank from Germany...

Aosda

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 03:00:01 am »
Medicinewheel,

Yeah my upper limb could bend a little more.  I'm actually 5# over my target weight, but I'm pulling shy of 28" @ 2.5# per inch(roughly).  I figured I would call it good because the top limb bends real even throughout.  Also I already have a Hickory backed Black Walnut that I purchased, want to try for wood variety in the collection, now that I'm hooked.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 05:56:15 am »
Always one more,nice job on your first,I'm with Cracker wished my first turned out that good. :)
Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good