Author Topic: 78# GUAVA English longbow  (Read 10760 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 78# GUAVA English longbow
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 03:01:31 pm »
Another nice bow, Manny. Are the wraps purely aesthetic or was there a reason for them. Either way, it looks cool and helps to break up the lines of the bow for an effective camo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 03:46:46 pm »
Manny, how do you like shooting a bow that is a lot longer than what you have shot in the past?
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 04:14:17 pm »
Thanks Manny.

I had the same thing with my last couple ELBs- were sort of uncomfortable... the last one I finished up is an ELB in tiller and shooting, but is held and looks like an ALB since it has a deep leather build up on it.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 07:11:52 pm »
Pat, ...purely camo, I got the idea from those old northen European bows

Bob, actually I would say that the bows I shot the most are in the 68" range, being shooting quite a few 64" lately, but really the longer bows are my bows  :)

You can check those videos I have in the shooting forum,...practicing with a heavy 68" bow from all kind of different positions and quite close to the ground too
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Rich Saffold

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 12:13:02 am »
I love that bow even though I have seen it before since it looks like a poisonous snake..Who ever gets hit by that tarantula is screwed! 8)

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 04:38:37 pm »
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 01:16:26 pm »
Yes it is Bushman  ;D .... we have lots of them crafty buggers around here, I have a farm just behind my target practice area, and I like to practice my stalking on them when I get a chance  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 03:35:38 pm »
Yes it is Bushman  ;D .... we have lots of them crafty buggers around here, I have a farm just behind my target practice area, and I like to practice my stalking on them when I get a chance  ;D

Cool.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 04:37:23 pm »

HOw many of those stalks end with a puff of feathers Manny :)?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:30 pm »
Just this morning I stalked a rooster with 2 hens, he finally gave me a shot as it was looking away (not a chance to get a shot of unless they are looking totally away from you) .......I aimed for the neck, the arrow looked real good, and actually grazed the neck of the rooster, taking some feathers, but that was it  ;D

lot's of fun anyway trying stalking weary birds, it's a success just getting within 20 yards,...now that doesn't happen very often at all  ::)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Kegan

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 11:52:42 am »
I never would have guessed there was so much hunting challenge in roosters and chickens. Goes to show. Makes that kill all the more impressive too :)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 02:42:16 pm »
Kegan, anytime animals turn to feral status they will became weary and birds are just the same, this guys if they see you move thru a window inside the house take off at full bore  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Gordon

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 10:10:10 pm »
I'm with Rich - that bow looks like a poisonous snake. And I can see it is as deadly as one!
Gordon

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:48 am »
That Guava is incredibly beautiful as well as effective.  Are there other good woods in the Islands for bow making?  Did the natives historically use bows?  I know there were originally no pigs or goats, so if they did, probably for fish, birds, and war?  Sea mammals?  The Northwest coast natives where I live are more known for their whaling harpoons, but they used bows ashore. I've wondered too if they wouldn't have used short canoe bows.  Seems like they would be very effective for Sea lions, Otter, etc...

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 06:16:07 am »
Keith, I gotta gree with you, Guava is definatly a beautiful wood  ;D

the native had no bows at all of any kind

There's definatly more bowwood here, I've used Eucalyptus, when I get time I wanna try playing with a couple woods that look very promising like SEA GRAPE and KOKUI NUT,...I'm sure there's a lot more good bowwood around too
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII