Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Frodo

Any suggestions?
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:30:37 am »
Been reading the first volume of the Traditional Bowyers Bible and I wanting to make some wood arrows. Anyone have any suggestions to go along with this text or other tips that might make the process easier?

Frodo

Offline Cromm

Re: Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:04:05 am »
Hi,
Are you going to buy the bits and glue them together or do you want to go and cut shoots or cut wood into squares and plane them into arrows???
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:22:18 pm »
The bowyers bible 3 also has two good sections on arrow making. But ditto on cromm's post, how do you want to make them?
SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:50:16 pm »
Making arrows from shoots is probably the most time consuming method.  Cane or reed is a little faster.  Square blanks are faster still ......but dowels are the fastest, especially if you can hand straighten the dowels (as with birch).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Frodo

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:37:05 am »
Hi,
Are you going to buy the bits and glue them together or do you want to go and cut shoots or cut wood into squares and plane them into arrows???
Thanks for your time.
I want to try rivercane arrows and the process of cutting wood into squares. I have volume 1 and 4 of the bible, but i will be buying 2 and 3 in the near future. Thanks for all the help.
Frodo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:47:02 am »
Frodo I have plenty of river cain on the farm,you just need to go cut some,GregB/Jesse/BigA and
myself will be glad to help show you how.It just takes practice,nothing like hands on,books will help sometimes, but usually just jump in and try it is the best method.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good