Author Topic: Tool use at the Classic?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Tool use at the Classic?
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:54:12 am »
The airlines are really cutting back on how much baggage a person can carry on a plane. Is there anyone that is going to the TN Classic that will let me barrow some tools to use? Carying all those supplies would make me go over weight on my baggage.

Thanks!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline sonny

Re: Tool use at the Classic?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:12:01 pm »
box up a few things and ship it to Pappy a week or so before you leave.
that way your tools will be there before you.
then give Pappy a few bucks to ship 'em back to you.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:05:06 pm »
Good idea!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
I have a few whitetail billets you can use.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:14:38 pm »
David, there are going to be plenty of knapping tools there. No since you having to ship yours. If nothing else, I can bring the tools I have. Very limited because I don't knap but I do have a few copper pressure flakers, hammer stones, wood billets, antler tine pressure flakers, etc. I have a pretty good collection of different rock too so I will bring that too.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 05:52:32 pm »
Tiller whats mine is yours eh :) At least as far as my tools go :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:02:50 pm »
OK! Looks like I'm set then. Think I may just bring my Ishi stick and knapping pad.

Dana, you mean your not sharing your beer???!!!???!!! SHOCKING!!!!!  ;D

Thanks guys! Thats going to make things much easier for me. Now if I can just find a rental wreck for a decent price I will be AOK!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:51:26 am »
Tiller you don't like beer remember ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 09:25:56 am »
 I got you covered, too, David.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:00:47 am »
You can use what I have,some are pretty beat up .Cause the kids use them but some ant to bad.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 02:24:35 pm »
Thanks guys!

Dana, YES I DO!!!!  ;D

Offline flecha

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:11 pm »
The airlines are really cutting back on how much baggage a person can carry on a plane. Is there anyone that is going to the TN Classic that will let me barrow some tools to use? Carying all those supplies would make me go over weight on my baggage.

Thanks!

David T

Yeah, I went to fly and had my "tool kit" with me (we all know what it was a bunch of river rocks, some antler, etc).  They wouldn't let me take that with me, but I had several obsidian blades with me in my pocket that were in excess of six inches.  I put them in the tray with my keys as I went through the metal detector just to see if they'd take those away as well.  The "security" guy held them up, looked at them and said they looked "real nice" as he handed them back to me.  Goes to show you can't predict what they'll let you take.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 03:32:13 pm »
Probably didnt know what he was looking at! Did you put your tools in a carry on or in your luggage? I think if its in the Luggage then you should be ok. They took my tick spray last year!!!! That permanon stuff is real good. Spray down your clothes and use my soap and not one bite or tick that I could find. Reminds me I better start getting the sleeping bag aired out!  ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 03:43:16 pm »
 I had to check two bags of my clothes and four boxes of electrical equiptment as luggage when I went to Alberta. They charged me $765 for extra bags. Half as much more than my R/T ticket. I also walked through TSI security at Louis Armstrong Airport with a 5" stone blade in my shirt pocket. Nobody noticed it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 03:53:10 pm »
I dont think there machines can pick up stone on their machines! They are not doing the job they should!!!! Heck Eddie, even if I hadn't met ya last year I sure would have known looking at ya that you had stone knives stashed away somewhere!

You can always tell a flintknapper in the crowd. Its the guy wearing all the band aids on his hands and fingers scoping out all the glass containers and window glass! saying "There's a point in there somewhere!" and "OOOHHHH! That Chahuli glass sure would break nice!" and while sitting at the bar in the airport leaning over to the guy or gal drinking from their bottle saying "Gee! Can I have the bottle when your done with it?"  ;D