Author Topic: How fast will weight come off during tillering? (aka my new bow is done!)  (Read 8445 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: How fast will weight come off during tillering?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 02:36:23 am »
I'm gld to hear it worked out for you. Can't wait to see pics.  ;D
SW Utah

Offline Diligence

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 01:27:29 am »
Okay - here you go..full draw (almost) and unbraced showing some set.

This is a choke cherry bow....wood salvaged from a city street.  The tree was a victim of a hit and run.  It's 55# at 28", 57" ntn, 1.5" max width at handle, tapering to 3/4" wide at nocks.  About 3/4" thick at handle, and 7/16" thick at nocks.  At least 11 knots to work with, and a couple of kinks.

This is my first self-bow....and in fact, the first bow I have shot in 20 years.  I used to have a Bear Whitetail II Hunter compound, but somehow got the desire to make my own.  I must admit, that at this point, 50# feels like 70# used to.

Tiller okay? I think that there seems to appear to be a hinge at bottom third, but it's just the door frame in behind that's causing the effect.

Cheers,
D

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:29 am »
that bow looks great, ...and the set is just fine
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Timo

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:22 am »
I see hinges on the door, but none on that bow! :)

looks perty swell to me. Bottom limb shows a bit strong,but nuthin wrong with that. Nice job!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:45 am »
Looks great. Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Diligence

Thanks for the kind words!

Do you all think I should narrow up the tips a bit?  Oh, and the handshock feels pretty significant....

D

PS...I was sure to wear the official uniform of arm chair bowyers...sweat pants.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Diligence

bump....

...very interested to hear your collective thoughts on the width and thickness of this bow at the tips.  Was just reading in TBB Vol 4 about narrowing the tips to decrease mass and increase fps....is that something that I should consider?

My farthest shot so far has been 10 paces....over the hood of the mini-van and into my soda can recycling bag...lol, I can hardly wait for some snow to melt!!  I have 6 arrows ready for nocking and fletching now too.  I used Hemlock baseboard trim.

Cheers,
D

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Diligence, I dont know much about choke cherry but how long ago did you cut it and did you use any heat source to speed up the drying time? The set seems a bit excesive to me, I'm guessing maybe your wood wasnt quite dry enough yet. I could be wrong though like I said I never made a choke cherry bow. Narrowing the tips will definetly help with the handshock problem and should help with cast a bit also. I rough out my bows at 1/2" wide at the very tips and narrow them from there...they usualy end up around 3/8" at the knocks.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Oh, very nice job on your tillering to for your first try!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Diligence

thanks for the tillering comment Ryano....I had lots of great web photos to refer to.

Still getting the hang of shooting it, but I hope that will come along.

The bow was floor tillered while still quite wet...and unfortunately, frozen.  I was working in a non-heated garage, and I didn't even think twice about it. I think the combination of relatively green and frozen resulted in the set, but live and learn I guess.

I'll try to do some tip narrowing and see what it does to the bow.  It's so ugly now, I can't really make it any worse....lol

Cheers,
D

Offline Timo

Have you put any finish on this bow yet? Could still be some moisture in it.You could seal the back and let it finish drying.Probly won't help the set, but will help the cast.

Offline Diligence

Nope, no finish yet.  Going to "shoot the snot out of it", per another posters advice, then I will see what I want to do to it for final looks.

D

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: How fast will weight come off during tillering? (aka my new bow is done!)
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 02:08:29 am »
Diligence, congrats on a great looking bow.  I just cut myself a chokecherry stave, so I'm reading this thread with great interest.  Do you have any updates?  How does it shoot, finished photos?  Have you made meat with it?  Thanks for the awesome trailblazing, I'll be in your footsteps shortly!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 11:22:15 pm »
Good job. Chokecherry is widely available and can make a good bow.Looks like you figured that out.
Bookmarked, too, for Dec Self Bow of the Month fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 09:01:50 am »
It comes off too slow and then too fast if you are not carefull
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.