Author Topic: i am thinking of an abo journey  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Blacktail

i am thinking of an abo journey
« on: March 21, 2009, 12:25:45 am »
i started out chipping with stone and bone..AND THEN IT HAPPEND ;D..A friend gave me a copper bopper....but i have been thinking about going back..but i want to learn with the tools that the Indians of Oregon used...and that probley depends on what side of the mountain you live on..blacktails on one side and muleys on the other..i see alot of guys using moose.BUT,i dont really know if moose have really been in oregon in that time period or if they where abundent then.SO,after all that.SORRY...so,my question is..how do i find out about moose in oregon....john

Offline Blacktail

Re: i am thinking of an abo journey
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:41:07 am »
well i have been looking around and cant find any info..so, if i do this i will just get some moose.john

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:59:42 am »
I found a single moose antler for sail at a road side vendor in Maine last fall for $25.  I just got around to cutting it down and shaping it for knapping.  So far I love it.  I've also got some pretty big whitetail racks to get shaped up.  I seem to slowly be working my way away from copper as well.  Good luck with your journey too.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 12:01:25 pm »
HEy John,

I'll bet that moose, buffalo, elk, etc probably inhabited a much larger portion of the lower 48 states than we think.  There were probably a LOT more animals in a lot more areas before whitey came along and started shooting them and killing them with new diseases brought in by domestic cattle, sheep and goats.  I'm sure that a lot of the indigenous animals were killed off by diseases that were brought in with domestic animals, just as the native populations were decimated by diseases brought in by Europeans.

I've read accounts that wild turkeys were so numerous in the eastern U.S. that there were flocks numbering almost 100.  Of course, whitey and his disrespectful slaughter of animals put a real quick end to that, and it took efforts of the Nat. Wild Turkey Federation to reintroduce them into their native habitats.  It really worries me, because for the most part that attitude hasn't changed, and now that humans are a global presence it means the entire planet is in jeopardy....     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 12:13:42 pm »
billy,  actually it wasnt hunting that almost ended the wild turkey,it was the clearing of habitat.
once most of the hardwood trees were cut for and by the lumber industry,the turkey lost a lot of roosting trees and
habitat that the hardwood forest privided them with.things as shelter,food and good nesting sites were soon depleted
due to the lumber industry.without those they made easy targets for preditors.

and yes the NWTF has done a lot of good for the return of the wild turkey.mostly due to transplating birds to new areas where they could
thrive again,also due to the fact the turkey can adapt quite quickly to new areas.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »
Google..."moose in Oregon"!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 07:29:18 pm »
by the way, if you can find a good moose antler billet, you better grab it and run.  Moose antler knapping tools are at a premium and the price only continues to go up.

Marietta, Georgia

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 11:59:13 am »
The Turkey is one amazing bird! We have them here on the island and we have mostly coniferous trees here. But they are starting to thrive! They started showing up a few years ago when a guy accidentaly let them out of a pen where he was raising them. They have gone from 5 birds to upwards of 20 or so in just a few years. Only Coyotes on the island to hunt them. I am hoping the flock will become so big they will show up around my house so I can hunt them!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 12:51:05 pm »
There was a moose in Yakima, Washington this summer that had to be chased out of town.  I've seen them in Elk, Washington (which is just North of Spokane) a few years ago.  I suspect they would have followed the Cascade mountain range South to Oregon.  There are getting to be enough moose in Eastern Washington that they have a special drawing to hunt them.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...