Author Topic: Linen vs cotton vs denim vs textured silk vs canvas, etc  (Read 18304 times)

orcbow

Re: Linen vs cotton vs denim vs textured silk vs canvas, etc
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 08:41:30 am »
I did find some natural tan color 100% linen fabric once at a Jo-Ann fabric store, but I had to ask for help to find it. The lady said they don't always have it, cause there is not much demand, almost like an accident that I showed up then. But it ripped apart in tension; it was way too weak to do as backing.

Offline Timo

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 08:49:23 am »
Here's a good place.

http:// store.marthapullen.com/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:16:11 pm by Pappy »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 09:11:38 am »
I did find some natural tan color 100% linen fabric once at a Jo-Ann fabric store, but I had to ask for help to find it. The lady said they don't always have it, cause there is not much demand, almost like an accident that I showed up then. But it ripped apart in tension; it was way too weak to do as backing.

Thats odd, I've never had that problem with it ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 09:48:34 am »
Piper, in the past I've ordered from Martha Pullan, I think Timo gave you a site above. You can get either 100% linen or a blend. Various colors, inexpensive, and two yards of fabric will back a dozen bows. TB II works well with it.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 10:17:46 am »
Jan Fabrics has linen. The other backing I've used is burlap. Plain, old, ordinary, garden store burlap is a jute fiber. Don't use the plastic stiff. It's not natural.I never used canvas or denim. But I've seen denim backed bows and they look really good.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline t0dd

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 11:33:51 am »
How about jute string from a hardware store, un-ply it and back with the fibers? Anyone try that?

An aside: I use jute string for silencers.

-t
tawster, aka Todd

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 12:40:55 pm »
OK, i am now the proud owner of that micron-thickness Osage stave that was posted some time back.   Wow, wish i could find more violin wood with rings THAT BLOODY TIGHT!!! 

So, i may end up getting a ring as close as possible, and then backing it.   Jawge suggested rawhide, I think, earlier.  Any chance that one of the favorite woven fabrics will do ?  thanks, piper  (behaving now)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 12:44:15 pm »
Kieth I also have some of that thin ringed osage I would suggest some nice thin deer rawhide :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 12:52:55 pm »
I like thin ringed osage and like you said, Keith, follow a ring as best you can but I prefer rawhide as a backing for this application. I believe you will get better protection with the rawhide. I use TBIII for this but hide glue would be an option and possibly a better option.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 12:57:36 pm »
Alright, thin deer rawhide.   Anybody want to trade some for.......hmmm......something?  Hopefully, something easy to ship.  Cajun spice?  Wooden spoon?  Fiddle strings?  piper

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 01:09:24 pm »
Keith, If I had some rawhide now I would take you up on a trade. I could use a new set of fiddle strings. Then all I would need is a fiddle and bow.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

a finnish native

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 08:38:53 pm »
only one word. HEMP!

old foul dude

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 09:21:22 pm »
I bought some 100% linen yesterday at the Jo-Ann Fabrics in Zanesville Ohio. They had natural and chocolate, tight weave, medium weight. It was $14.99 a yard.