Author Topic: Osage Tiller Help  (Read 10133 times)

DCM

Re: Osage Tiller Help
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:05 pm »
The hinge is fixed George, as I understand it, which is why we are under weight.  And you are right, we need to see the rested profile of the bow now, and another when the stave was still fresh before tillering in order to estimate the set taken, and likelihood the bow is game for higher energy storage.  And look at the back ring thickness, and any blemishes, faults, knots etc. as well.  Beginner is rough sledding, but informative.  I thought about that when I suggested shortening, which I'm actually and very fond of when executed carefully, properly and under the right conditions.  I think it can save some set actually.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 01:03:04 pm »
Funny thing you mention on set.  When the bow was 55lbs, it had 1.5" of set.  But the set has went away totally now that I took it to 38lbs.  Found that strange.  Maybe its my imagination.

Well, after careful consideration, and taking in everyones thoughts, I have decided to take more material off at the fade area to get it bending.  Second, pike the bow to 62".  Check tiller, and then make a decision after that on sinewing.   I myself love sinewed bow if done properly (not by me).  This would be my first sinew job.  And I want to learn how.  And I already have the sinew pulled apart and ready.  Which was extremely time consuming.

Thanks for all who helped.

Westminster, MD

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 01:12:32 pm »
David, hinges are never completely fixed in my view. There is always the possibility of belly wood damage. Big, have fun. This is the challenge of wood bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 01:17:33 pm »
Big, to avoid hinges try to refrain from taking off wood from certain, small area. Go beyond the area in question a little bit. When removing wood I often go the whole length of the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 01:34:36 pm »
Would attempting a patch on the belly at the hinge point be worth a try. I have seen a patch glued on where the patch was thin enough to flex to match the belly surface for gluing, and then tillered as necessary. Seemed like it removed the hinge from the bow...anyone had experience with this process?
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:13 pm »
 :-[  I quit
Westminster, MD

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 02:02:51 pm »
Patience, grasshopper. greg, he retillered the hinge out. I was just making a point. Sorry for the confusion. Respectfully, please do read the whole  thread, everyone, before commenting. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

DCM

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 02:40:22 pm »
Don't give up Big. 

Folks will continue to comment.  As with all things, one must take in what is offered w/ a grain of salt, even the contradicting stuff.

But substantially, ideally, it's all about you buddy.  At least in my humble opinion.  It puts the self in selfbow, and no goal is more cherished than those won thru hard work and persistance in the face of adversity.  At a minimum, start another project.  That's what I do, very frequently.  Helps to keep a fresh persecptive and to stay motivated/inspired.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 02:47:08 pm »
Don't give up Big. 

Folks will continue to comment.  As with all things, one must take in what is offered w/ a grain of salt, even the contradicting stuff.

But substantially, ideally, it's all about you buddy.  At least in my humble opinion.  It puts the self in selfbow, and no goal is more cherished than those won thru hard work and persistance in the face of adversity.  At a minimum, start another project.  That's what I do, very frequently.  Helps to keep a fresh persecptive and to stay motivated/inspired.

I know, people are only trying to help.  And I do appreciate everyone's help.   I have 4 bows in the works right now.  But this one has been yelling at me to come back and finish. 
Westminster, MD

DCM

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 03:26:02 pm »
"...this one has been yelling at me..."

Been there!  It's a mixed blessing.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 03:48:00 pm »
I will send you a Tillerin' Gizmo  Mr Big if you want one. Guaranteed, now more hinges if you use one and don't scrape off any more than your pencil lines between each check, scrape, flex and recheck session.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 03:58:43 pm »
I will send you a Tillerin' Gizmo  Mr Big if you want one. Guaranteed, now more hinges if you use one and don't scrape off any more than your pencil lines between each check, scrape, flex and recheck session.

Thanks Eric, but after you showed a picture on trad gang last year, I made one of my own.   

What I learned out of this hinge was to be careful around the stiff area of the tips.  Even with the gizmo.  I liked your idea so much I made for for top tillering that is a basic piece of wood with little blocks for standoffs so it works opposite. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 04:07:39 pm »
Any time I have a bow that is giving me fits or not going the way it should, I put it in "the corner of shame". That corner is full of bows screaming at me but I just ignore them until I am ready to deal with their particular circumstance. A few have been in THE CORNER for a few years now. Usually when they do get out of the corner they make respectable, good shooting bows. Fortunately I have other wood to start on and I'm sure some of them will be in the corner before they hit the field.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 04:22:54 pm »
Pat B,

your "coner of shame" would probably be my wall of glory..lol :D :D :D  i would love to get some of those bows to play with and see if i could finish em.. ;) ;)

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »
Pat B,

your "coner of shame" would probably be my wall of glory..lol :D :D :D  i would love to get some of those bows to play with and see if i could finish em.. ;) ;)

Thats what I was thinkin.  I bet some would qualify as "a good bow" to some of us.   ;D  Maybe one day I can get there.
Westminster, MD