Author Topic: New Bow build  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Easternarcher

New Bow build
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:49:33 am »
I've had a few rough times this year and have not had the gumption to build anything til now...
I've been commissioned to build a bow for a friend's wife's birthday this summer. here's the thing...I have no Osage, but I can get some IPE locally. The bow will be Bamboo backed of course.
I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for specs. using IPE I can apply here? She'll need 45@26" and maybe 60-62" max. ntn
I'm planning on a R/D style and narrow tips with a locator grip and cut-in shelf. I'll build up the grip with multiple laminations for stability and strength.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Bow build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:07:27 am »
If your rough times are related to bow building, you are taking on a complicated task. You may want to try for another bow wood and/or simpler design until you are comfortable with the whole bow building process. No since setting yourself up with the possibility of more frustrations, especially when making a bow, and birthday present for some one else.
   I'm not trying to discourage you. The bow you are talking about making is quite doable. Maybe someone else will have an answer that will be more acceptable to you.     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:29:20 am »
If your rough times are related to bow building, you are taking on a complicated task. You may want to try for another bow wood and/or simpler design until you are comfortable with the whole bow building process. No since setting yourself up with the possibility of more frustrations, especially when making a bow, and birthday present for some one else.
   I'm not trying to discourage you. The bow you are talking about making is quite doable. Maybe someone else will have an answer that will be more acceptable to you.     

Pat, no it isn't bow related...just life.
I've built several bows already, so I'm comfortable tackling this. (Best bow to date is a Boo backed Osage. 50@27" 66"ntn.)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 11:50:19 am »
Sorry I misunderstood. Like I said, the bow you want to build is quite doable. I have only made a few backed ipe bows so I can't suggest a good design for you. Someone will come along to help you out.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:01:18 pm »
Here are dimensions for a 66ntn r/d ipe boo bow. you will have to tweak it a bit with the shorter length. 1 1/8 wide at the fades straight taper to 3/4 inch tips then go about 10" from the tips and mark from those lines to 1/2"  tips which you will reduce later to 3/8" This will give a nice gradual taper but dont cut this until after glue up.
For the thickness taper start out at the bottom of the fades  at about 1/2" thick and taper to 3/16" at tips. These are dimensions for the ipe only. It will be thicker when you add the boo.  This is plenty of belly wood for that draw weight. Cut this taper before glue up and sand exactly to the lines so both sides look even out of the form. I recommend clamping the limb to a flat surface like a 4 foot level before marking it out because most boards are not exactly straight and a little mistake here can be big trouble. I clamp it into reflex/ Deflex 10" from the tips is where I put the clamp. you can adjust the size of your form to get the effect you want. I like to make the form the same length as the bow with 2" blocks on the tips and 1 1/2" under the handle if its not glued up yet. I make the handle area 8" total with 4 above and 4" below center. After glue up mark the exact center to make sure you didnt glue in some twist or not exactly straight on the form. After you have your center line then mark the width taper.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 02:27:49 pm »
Thanks Jesse....what weight would you expect to get with that configuration?

Offline Jesse

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »
Thanks Jesse....what weight would you expect to get with that configuration?
Depends on your specific piece of wood and your boo thickness but between 55 and 70# right off the form.
I just got a glue up from David Knight and he does it way different and the measurements are a lot different as well so its hard to say but I would go on the heavy side a bit because you can always tiller it to a lighter weight. The most important thing is getting both limbs equal and thin enough to be bent in the form. The dimensions I gave will leave you enough to work with but still bend nice in the form. Thats how I do it but if you ask Badger, Rich or KnightD or someone else they will give you a different way. Maybe a better way :)     Good luck
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 04:50:24 pm »
I'd do what Jesse does for a bow like yours with the limb width being at one inch to compensate for its shorter length, and perhaps a hair under a half inch outside the fades.

I think what matters most is the limbs easily go into the form you want so they don't have to be cranked hard into the shape and straighten out after coming out of the clamps.. I often lightly floor tiller these bellies just so they bend in a nice arc first. Often these bows will take very little work after  coming out of the clamps when  it has a good pre-tiller first...

Rich