Author Topic: chasing rings  (Read 1561 times)

Offline ryanfromcanada

chasing rings
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:58:55 pm »
in my recent archive searching i have come accros the term "chasing the rings"

im very new so bear with me  :-[ 

what is chasing the rings

ps My first stave, maple tree is drying as we speak  :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: chasing rings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10:24 pm »
Chasing a ring is usually done with woods like osage, locust, mulberry, etc where you have a definite sapwood and heartwood. When removing the sapwood to get to the heartwood for your bow you begin removing growth rings, one at a time until you get a good clean heartwood ring that will be your bows back. The act of removing growth rings, one at a time, is chasing a ring.
   You can chase a ring with any wood. All trees have yearly growth rings. With white wood, like maple, if you cut the wood during the growing season, you can peel the bark to reveal the ring that will be your bows back. With this method, you don't have to chase a ring. If the ring under the bark is damaged or otherwise unusable, you can chase the next best ring for the bows back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:14:34 pm »
If I might add to pats response: Chasing the same ring the full length of the stave.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:20:19 pm »
yes you might and thanks Tim. That is an important point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC