Author Topic: Help identifying wood  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
Help identifying wood
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:58:33 pm »
Hello everyone, Ive been walkin in my woods all winter and even had a couple friends come out and have a look at what I have. This is my problem. I have many many trees on my place and I am not able to correctly identify any of them. The ones I thought I knew I may not. Every person that looks at them tells me they are something different from the other person. Kinda confusing when I don't even have a clue for myself. I do know what osage looks like.I can always tell what it is but I don't have any osage on my property. Heres my question I guess. Is there a way to correctly identify each tree specie that I have. A book or a web site thats user friendly. I have tried to look on-line several times but I can never tell what exactly they are. I have been able to tell a few that I found by the leaves. They were black walnut. I would love to find a book I could take back there with me and see them that way. Does anyone know of such a book or a way. Thank you for your time                   Kenny
Kenneth Hughes

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: Help identifying wood
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:11:01 pm »
This is the site I always use to help to identify trees and bushes. It might not be much help if you have a tree and and need to know what it is but if you don't know what a tree or bush looks like it's excellent. http://plants.usda.gov
SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:57 pm »
Kenny, The Audubon Field Guide series has a book for the Eastern US and the Western US. These books have pics of bark, fruit, flowers, leaves, a pic of the trees skeleton and a good written description of twigs, buds, habit, culture and native area. It is in a pocket book size so you can take it along with you.
   Also, your local Cooperative Extension Service agent might walk your land with you and help you ID your trees.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:26:02 pm »
Thank you both that site is really good. I'm gonna try and find that book PatB. I have a very big variety of trees and it drives me nuts not knowing what they even are. My kids know more about them than I do. Once again thanks.      Kenny
Kenneth Hughes