Author Topic: show me what point would you use to shoot a water buffulo?  (Read 9621 times)

Offline Cromm

Re: show me what point would you use to shoot a water buffulo?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 07:41:26 am »
Hi,
Are you going to make the stone head yourself or do you want someone to make it for you??
Thanks for your time.

Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 11:25:00 pm »
i've never knapped but would love to. any points would be greatly appreiciated. even if it is for 'normal game'. i'd love to start hunting with stone. i'll pay for points of course.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:15 am »
Cromm, did you make those points brother, those are super nice... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 08:23:54 pm »
Water or Cape buff?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 05:56:42 pm »
water buff

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 08:52:58 pm »
I'm with Cromm. The old standard triangular side notched should work on anthing that you get a good shot on. Just depends on the toughnest of the hide of the critter your shootin at and the weight of your bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 09:47:00 pm »
the points on the far left and far right look exactly like the points that woody blackwell kindly gave to me for testing on dead buff.

they are 300gr plus or minus a little. they need to be that heavy to get the total mass up. i'm using douglas fir shafts and with those points i'm looking at a total arrow mass of around 760gr-800gr. this will be shot from my bob lee recurve. 69# at 28". i have already taken a water buff with this bow shooting 890gr carbon arrows.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »
If you can get points from Woodey Blackwell, I'd go with that. You aught to do good ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 10:50:42 pm »
well personally i would go with this.

or if you insist of primative, maby this

with this point

;D ;D ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 03:18:10 am »

Dang, Recurve Shooter, I want one of those!  Ozzy clint, good luck, and I hope you have a good tree cose by. ;)  Those points, especially the more trianglar one with the barbs out past the notces, is the one I would go with.  Just my opinion, but I think it would do more damage after entrance, and the animal is running, and the arrow is moving inside, slicing and dicing.  Again good luck, and we want pictures! 8)

Wayne

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 03:41:31 am »
yeah hopefully i'll get these arrows made up soon and get a chance to shoot them into a dead buffalo. pics will be posted that's for sure.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 09:53:42 am »
yeah man, serriously, good luck, and be carefull for pete's sake.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 10:37:40 am »
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with any of those points that Cowboy or Crom posted. Use a heavy bow and don't shoot into the shoulder.

You guys that keep posting rifle amo remind me of the guys that would tell me I couldn't kill a pronghorn with my longbow. They are too fast, or too good of eyesight, or there just not enough cover to get that close. It still bleeds doesn't it? It may be tougher, or bigger. You may need a little more bow and heavy arrows. But last I checked we didn't hunt because it was easy. Do your homework, hunt hard and Get-r-done.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stickbender

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 04:17:01 pm »

There you go again Justin, putting the primitive archery, perspective on it. ;D ;D  Just what kind of forum do you think this is? ::)
I would love to be able to do what Ozzie Clint is wanting to do. 8)  But I Would have a back up plan, just in case the thrill of the chase switched to the Buffalo! :o A .458, with 500 gr. solid bullet, or .416 Rigby, or the venerable .45-70, with a 500 gr. bullet.  Solid if I could get it.  Or my favorite water, cape buffalo, and elephant gun, the good ol Barret Light .50, semi automatic, with a ten shot clip, and muzzle brake.  Shooting a 600 or 700 gr. bullet.  Ah, and the T Rex, and the Allosaurus have all gone extinct.  Just when we are ready for them.  But yeah, it can be done with bow and arrow.  Even the extremely sharp eyed antelope.  They are curious, and can be brought up close, by playing to their curiosity, or using a decoy, or even mylar on cardboard, reflecting the sage bushes, etc.  It was a skill that could be done without mylar, decoys, etc. and it was done by our ancestors, and the Paleo Americans.  But it was done because they had no other method.  I would still like to have a back up weapon.

Wayne

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 08:54:13 pm »
This is  what  I  would  reccomend

[attachment deleted by admin]
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.