Author Topic: Triggerfish-backed ERC  (Read 8130 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Triggerfish-backed ERC
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:32:27 am »
Here’s my latest ERC attempt.  My last ERC selfbow exploded after about 30 arrows - an impressive double-limb blowout (I never even found the string). Since this stave was from the same tree, I decided I’d best back it.  Anyway, I’ve been dying to try triggerfish skin as a backing material for a while now.  I never heard of anybody using this, but somebody's probably done it before. 

For you landlubbers, grey triggerfish is a diamond-shaped deep sea fish that’s a pretty common on the east coast.  Instead of removable scales, it has an incredibly tough hide with a scaley pattern on it.  So on a trip to NC, I snagged a few whole fish from a seafood store, and saved the skins.  (The fish was delicious, by the way – tastes like red snapper.)

The thing is, these fish are only about 12” long from tip to tail, so I could only make strips 5-6” long, and overlap them along the back.  This is probably breaking a cardinal rule of backing, but what the heck, it worked.  And besides, I kinda like the reptilian look it gives it.  This bow took the skins of 3 triggerfish.  When this skin dries, it’s tough as steel, but it apparently has enough flexibility to bend without cracking or separating between layers.

The bow is pyramid-style, tapering from 1-7/8” to just under ½”.  It’s 68” nock-to-nock.  I made it a bit longer than most of my bows, on account of ERC’s tendency to take set (or break) at semi-heavy weights.  It pulls around 65 lbs at 26”, which was my target. Sometimes I can flip the tips a bit on ERC, but this one wouldn’t cooperate, so I left it straight.  It’s got about 1-¼” of set, which I’m good with.

ERC is pretty soft, so I added some deer hoof tip overlays, triggerfish skin strike plate, and a dyed jute wrap.  It shoots off my hand just fine.  I’m sure I could tweak the tiller a bit, but I like the way it shoots now, and I don’t want to lose any weight.

I’m new to backings, so I can’t compare it to much.  All I know is, it ain’t broke yet after 100 arrows or so, and it shoots way zippy.  I’d love to hear some advice from the backing experts out there.

...Tom

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:12:33 pm by Stickhead »

Bowbound

Re: Triggerfish-backed ERC
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:34:33 am »
that wood is really nice. Shame the last one broke, but you did a good job on this one. :)

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:41:36 am »
Hey stickhead that is an absolutely gorgeous bow. Red cedar is some beautful wood.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »
Nice bow, Stick! ERC does make a beautiful bow but also a spectacular explosion! I know from experience.  The trigger fish skin is cool also. The only cardinal rule for backings that I know is that they work properly and looks like yours has.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:26:34 pm »
   very nice, coodos' for doing something diff. and experimenting.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:50:24 pm »
Man thats some cool 8) looking backing. Nice job and thanks fer sharing eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:52:11 pm »
that wod and skin combo is sweet dude
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline full quiver

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 12:53:50 pm »
Wow, that is a good looking bow. Really like the red cedar.
I've  been thinking about fish skin backings lately but never thought about looking at the fish market.
Donnie

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 02:08:45 pm »
That is really neat!!Great job..Did you have to chase a ring to end up with heartwood in the limbs? The cedar bows I've built were all whitewood in the limbs and a little red showing on the handle.Just curious. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline xin

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 02:55:17 pm »
Very nice bow!!  I've got some ERC that's been sitting around for 6 or 7 yrs.  This inspires me to get to work on it.  Like you I think I 'll put on a backing, just haven't decided on which one yet.

a finnish native

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 03:02:31 pm »
Nice job dude. The skins really set the ERC off!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:32 pm »
Well it does look pretty cool. I'm not a big erc fan for the reasons you mentioned. Just be careful you don't let the wood dry out to much because it gets extremely brittle. I've had two diferant well shot in erc bows blow to pieces on me after they set in the house ifor a few the months in the winter.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 03:43:56 pm »
Excellent looking bow. I love the look of cedar, and those fish skins set it off well.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 04:51:43 pm »
Never built a cedar bow, got lots of it round here,but I've never found a piece that wasn't full of knots. Ya did good on that one.

As for the skins: I like any kind of skins.Love to see something different.Perty cool.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 05:41:14 pm »
Nice work!  That bow has some great color.  Hope it sticks around a little longer than the last one for you.
Travis