Author Topic: Hophornbeam???  (Read 8994 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Re: Hophornbeam???
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 11:21:11 pm »
If the wood snaps then it's not likely you have HHB.  It splinters when bent too far

yeahhhh... found that out, tested this on one of the smaller im going to have to say broomstick thickness, and when i broke it looked like a big broom, that what it should do right?
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline white wood

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 02:02:23 pm »
Thats  eastern hornbeam AKA"muscle wood" or iron wood. makes nice bows, very dense something like 50 rings per inch if i remember right from last bow i made. nice muscular looking back very unique -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 03:12:39 pm »
Thats  eastern hornbeam AKA"muscle wood" or iron wood. makes nice bows, very dense something like 50 rings per inch if i remember right from last bow i made. nice muscular looking back very unique -jesse

ummm i hope i didnt do a bad thing i kinda thinned it down to about a qtr inch at thickest (its a shortbow so i figured it should be thinner) <--- That, and i want it to be dry by march 20th, so i can finish it up and seal it and send to cousin for birthday,

the bigger one i have i still have it as a stave, i want to be sure it looks its best, and drys naturally :P (that and i may be able to get a trade eventually, idk but if someone can offer me some white oak, or red oak, itd be great,) if not, i plan on making a nice flatbow or longbow from it, all depends on what i feel would work best, well, ill keep you posted on this

Offline PeteC

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 05:34:27 pm »
Sorry ,sailordad's picture is eastern HHB,while your picture is American hornbeam,but it is good bow wood as well. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 06:11:06 pm »
Sorry ,sailordad's picture is eastern HHB,while your picture is American hornbeam,but it is good bow wood as well. God Bless

i figured that, thanks =3

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »
i know what my wood is  ;D
i posted it to see if thats what his was like since he hadnt posted a pic of it at that time yet.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 10:14:40 pm »
did the bark look like this? if so then it is hhb,you dont trust it or want it,send it to me i would be happy to take it

wow, at first i was doubtful but i looked around again, and found a BUNCH of this, most of it is about 5-6 inches thick, and quite straight, i sawed one down and i plan on taking pictures ON MY OWN, because my mom wont even do it, on top of that ill take a pic of my maple longbow (finally),

im taking this into my own hands... but yes. i will do it...

well, im glad i figured out the difference now, :D and i plan on trading it out because i would be glad to get some hazel or oak staves sometime, WHEN I DO TRADE IT i will give a WHOLE LOG, (depending on how fast you can get here i may take bark off or leave on) if this topic is getting too out of hand lock it or move it, idk but as of now i am wondering if anyone wants it enough to come to where i live, bring their stave/log, and trade for mine,

thanks,
           Hawkeyes