Author Topic: Plans for a kids bow  (Read 1889 times)

Offline newknapper

Plans for a kids bow
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:52:29 am »
I have been commision'd to build a bow for a friend of mines son, He is (or will be in june) 11. I have never made a bow for a little person before what are some layouts you guys use. I got a good hickory stave and a dogwood stave I could use but was leaning towards the hickory. I am guessing I should make it so he can grow into it and have several years of shooting out of it. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Plans for a kids bow
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:58:38 am »
I usuall try and make them a little taller than they are.I measure there draw and try and build it 2 or 3 inches longer and 6 to 8 lbs heaver than they can draw at the longer draw length.That will put it about right where they are now and give room to grow.As for lay out I would say on Hickory
probably 1 /4 to 1 3/8 wide at the fads tapered to the tips about 3/8.with about a 4 inch handle section and 1 to 1 1/2 fads.That should give you all you need for weight.A lot depends on how big and strong they are ,all kids are different ,but that should get you in the ball park. Good luck.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline newknapper

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:30:01 pm »
Thanks pappy, I will try it. He is a pretty strong kid, he was shooting a 25lb recurve the other day with no problem. I was thinking about 1 3/8 to 1/1/2 at fades about 60 inches tall. I had his dad measure his draw and he said it was 20''

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:17:50 pm »
I've made boo backed hickory and boo backed ipe that have worked out well. My kids are hard on them and I am not to the point where selfbow is the best option. They sure like 'em if you put snake skins on them! Dave
NW Montana

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »
Kids grow fast. I have found the best success in making the bow for the draw weight and length that they can handle right now. They will have more fun with it and stay interested if they don't have to grow into it. Make them another next year if the interest grows.  Kudo's to you for doing this, Keep the kids involved and our sport will last FOREVER!!.........Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work