Author Topic: Hophornbeam???  (Read 8993 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Hophornbeam???
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:51:01 pm »
i found a BUNCH of HHB in my yard, was wondering... when i split it into staves they do not seem like much of a bow wood,  (not too flexible yet)

it appears denser then any wood ive worked with, although not many woods are hard to work with if u know how, but still was  a pain to split etc, it was about  3.5 inches thick and had a little bend in it, it doesnt feel like much of a bow wood as i said, ifs VERY VERY STIFF To bend and unlike most woods ive seen, if you try to even bend a shaving at all they snap, is this fortelliing the future, is my bow going to snap in my face, i hope not......

Only time will tell,
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline sailordad

Re: Hophornbeam???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:55:53 pm »
if it is hhb its good bow wood
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:21:10 pm »
i read somewhere that HHB is good when its a smaller sapling but may become brittle as it gets older, and this is going to season a while first, but i have a bad feeling, its WAY different then maple or oak, diff textures and everything,

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »
i aquired 5 logs of this recently,also was given an hhb bow ffrom the guy.the bow is close to 10 yrs old,pulls heavier now than when it was first tillered.
right now it pulls 63# @ 22"

i wouldnt call that brittle.
and yes it is differant than maple or oak,but thats comparing apples to plums.yes both are a fruit but yet neither are alike.
dont worry about using hhb,if ya dont want it trade it on the trading post,lots of people here would be happy to get some.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:04:03 pm by sailordad »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 06:56:35 am »
Are you sure its HHB? If so then its good wood :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:14:00 am »
Love HHB. Are you sure that is what you have got. Show us a picture. If it is, it will make a fine bow.
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 07:20:02 am »
If you got Hornbeam you got fantastic bow wood. Just about to finish a hornbeam bow up and it is powerful bow wood. I would like to see a picture of  your logs also. Dean

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 07:59:42 am »
It is good  wood. One of the nest white woods. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:55 am »
I think I've made four hhb's, and all are good bow's. It's my favorite white wood for bow making. They usually have some character due to their usually not being straight logs and the backs are not as smooth as most white woods. They are a booger to split! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:39:17 am »
If the wood snaps then it's not likely you have HHB.  It splinters when bent too far
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:51:36 pm »
alright, i am 99 percent sure it is HHB, i have had 3 friends all confirm it, the wood had little creases in it like muscles, and it was a beast to split, it split straight but took me about a half an hour, other than that, the wood seems to not want to bend at all, its about 2 inches thick and if i stand on it it will barely bend even when i jump,  however some of the thinner pieces i cut from it dont bend well, they arent as springy

it MAY be too late for pictures but ill try, if i had a camera i would show you my other bow as well... but unfortunately my mom STILL, hadnt got around to getting me the camera, its kinda getting me mad, well, if my parents are upset that may be the reason for the camera, either way my parents are not AS mad considering they know my grades are better then meets the eye :P

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:57:30 pm »
did the bark look like this? if so then it is hhb,you dont trust it or want it,send it to me i would be happy to take it

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 07:27:53 pm »
Hawkeyes, wood doesn't have to be easy to bend to be good bow wood.  In fact, flimsy wood is not  what you want. You need stiffness in order to make good draw weight without having so much mass weight. ;)
 The wood you have may be American Hornbeam. It has ripples in it that look like muscles.  Some poeple call it blue beech or musclewood.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 07:49:39 pm »
Your correct,that is eastern hophornbeam,and it is a very good bow wood.Make sure it's good and dry before tillering,but,while it's green, you can go ahead and rough out your bow,floor tiller,and clamp it in reflex.Leave it on a simple reflex form for a little over a month,and it will hold most,if not all of the induced reflexAlso,HHB is also greatly improved by heat treating the belly. Hope this helps. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06:00 pm »
wow, im going to have to go with what saw filer said `````\/
Hawkeyes, wood doesn't have to be easy to bend to be good bow wood.  In fact, flimsy wood is not  what you want. You need stiffness in order to make good draw weight without having so much mass weight. ;)
 The wood you have may be American Hornbeam. It has ripples in it that look like muscles.  Some poeple call it blue beech or musclewood.

hrmm, so its more likely that that HHB, well, thanks,  will it work as well as HHB, because, i dont want to sound like a treehugger... but i cut ALOT of these and cut into staves debarked etc, and if i did for nothing and wasted these, ima be really mad >.<

did the bark look like this? if so then it is hhb,you dont trust it or want it,send it to me i would be happy to take it
(IMAGE REMOVED FOR POST SIZE)

actually this is the picture i used to identify it, :P

I think I've made four hhb's, and all are good bow's. It's my favorite white wood for bow making. They usually have some character due to their usually not being straight logs and the backs are not as smooth as most white woods. They are a booger to split! ;)
yea, its hard, >.>

i aquired 5 logs of this recently,also was given an hhb bow ffrom the guy.the bow is close to 10 yrs old,pulls heavier now than when it was first tillered.
right now it pulls 63# @ 22"

i wouldnt call that brittle.
and yes it is differant than maple or oak,but thats comparing apples to plums.yes both are a fruit but yet neither are alike.
dont worry about using hhb,if ya dont want it trade it on the trading post,lots of people here would be happy to get some.

i dont know about trading it atm, my parents think im wierd as it is because i make bows, they will prolly think im wierder if i am trading off staves for other staves etc, but thanks for the offer, ill try and convince because i have PLENTY and i ran out of red oak :P i have a few trees like 3 feet thick and NO WAY am i cuttin those things lol

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:36:59 pm by Hawkeyes »